Audio By Carbonatix
Some doctors at the Surgery Department of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) are suspending all emergency services from Monday, citing their inability to offer the best of care to patients.
The young specialists and residents in surgery are unhappy with a decision by hospital authorities not to retain any of the over 70 newly trained housemen.
Spokesperson, Dr. Paa Kwasi Baidoo says the surgical wards are already choked and for him, it is inhuman to admit more patients under the current circumstances.
He tells Luv Fm the 12-member team cannot cope with the increasing emergency cases, especially when the KATH is losing housemen to other hospitals.
“This is not the first time; last year the same thing happened, so you find that two people are attending to so many patients and now [at] our Accident and Emergency Centre, we receive patients from all the regions. So we are saying that in order to render the best of care, we will suspend emergency services because of our numbers”, stated Dr. Baidoo.
He says it takes over six hours for patients to receive care after initial medical attention from the emergency physician.
Dr. Baidoo indicated physicians at the hospital have also stopped attending to emergency situations since last Tuesday.
He says the doctors will resume the emergency services when there is enough staff to take care of the emergencies.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
25 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
31 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
37 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
38 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
42 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
48 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
53 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
57 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
1 hour -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
1 hour -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
1 hour -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
1 hour -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
1 hour -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
1 hour -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour