National Organiser of the New Patriotic Party, Henry Nana Boakye, has debunked claims that Dr. Peter Appiahene is a TESCON patron at the University of Energy and Natural Resources.
On Monday, President Akufo-Addo swore in Dr. Peter Appiahene, Salima Ahmed Tijani and Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng as new members of the Commission.
Pictures and videos have since gone viral alleging in particular that Dr. Peter Appiahene is a patron of the NPP’s tertiary institutions’ wing, TESCON, at the University of Energy and Natural Resources.
According to Nana Boakye, those claims are unfounded and should be ignored.
He explained that while indeed the newly-appointed commissioner has engaged with the TESCON group on the UENR campus, he did so in the capacity of a resource person and not as patron.
He emphatically stated that Dr. Peter Appiahene has never been a patron of TESCON while making his submission on JoyNews’ PM Express.
“I have been National Youth Organiser for the New Patriotic Party for four years, I am now the National Organiser for the New Patriotic Party, the said nominee or the appointed person, Dr. Peter Appiahene, has never been a TESCON patron.
“We have a list of TESCON patrons…the said person he’s never been a TESCON patron…we have processes, he is never in our books as a TESCON patron. I mean, you can say that, yes, again my checks that I’ve run, he’s been invited by students, he has affiliation with some students who are TESCON, but it doesn’t mean he’s a TESCON patron,” he said.
He further stressed that simply because Dr. Appiahene is known to be affiliated to the NPP does not in any way compromise the EC’s neutrality following his appointment to the commission.
“I think we’re discussing the neutrality of the Electoral Commission and I don’t think that it can be compromised in any way. They have sets of rules, they have their guidelines, they have laws regulating their practices…” he said.
He added that Dr. Appiahene was a professional and competent person and that his appointment would not be inimical to the activities of the EC and the nation’s democracy at large.
“So for me I don’t think that this issue of neutrality will come in and I expect that once he’s been appointed and he’s a professional person – I have read about him and I’ve cross checked his background, he’s a professional person, he’s competent and clearly he can discharge his work and he’s going to, for me, be a neutral person,” he said.
- Perez Chapel’s Agyinasare given 14 days to appear before Nogokpo traditional leaders
- Rastafarian student nearly rejected by Achimota School may represent them at NSMQ
- Lack of transparency and accountability may force us to cut support to School Feeding Programme – World Bank
- Can Gyekye-Quayson lawfully run as an MP in the Assin-North bye-election? (Kwaku Azar writes)
- Nottingham Forest release Andre Ayew
- Surfline SIMs removed from Central SIM Database
- Man fined GH¢2k and a sheep for allegedly attempting to sleep with friend’s wife
- ‘If NPP can get a consensus candidate, it’ll help us tremendously’ – Hackman
- 1V1D: Government spent averagely ¢670k on each of the ‘dried dams’ – Research
- Newly commissioned Catechist dies during Communion Service at Gowrie
- Government committed to a swift revival of economy – Ofori-Atta to foreign investors
- Biden says debt ceiling deal averted ‘economic collapse’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Supreme Court ruling on Domelevo, NPP flagbearer race
- Soo, Wasipe hostilities: Mahama calls for urgent intervention of Overlords of Mamprugu and Gonjaland
- Comfort Yeboah
- Assin North by-election: NDC will not win with sympathy votes – Nana Boakye
- British Airways fined $1.1m by US government
- Ama Ata Aidoo made tremendous contributions to Ghana, Africa’s development – Akufo-Addo
- Forgive me if I’ve misled you – Akuapem Poloo apologises to fans
- Bonn Climate Change Conference to set stage for course correction at COP28
- Those who don’t vote are the ones saying I don’t stand a chance – Kwadwo Poku
- KNUST tops Times Higher Education Impact Ranking for quality education
- NPP Flagbearership Race: It’s too early to start talks of having a consensus candidate – Kwadwo Poku
- Accident at Nyinahin leaves 15 people in critical condition
- Life lounge with Edem Knight-Tay: Don’t Die Fixing It