Michael Essien is delighted with Chelsea’s start in the UEFA Champions League but says the Blues missed the influential striker Didier Drogba.
Essien started in a holding midfield role as Chelsea beat Portuguese champions FC Porto 1-0 at Stanford Bridge on Wednesday and reckons that despite the below par performance, it is still a great start for them.
“It’s a good start for us in the Champions League,” he said. “The most important thing is to win your home games.”
Essien believes the absence of Drogba also played a part in the display.
“People are talking about our performance, but we missed Didier Drogba like all teams would miss their main striker. We played well. We scored without conceding, so it bodes well for the rest of the competition.”
Chelsea top their group after Atletico Madrid could only draw goalless against Apoel Nicosia. Chelsea next play Tottenham Hotspurs in the English premiership this weekend.
- Sit-in demonstration at EC office to commence on Friday
- Building a successful brand through organizational culture
- Cecilia Dapaah has never owned a real estate business – PA rubbishes claims by OSP
- Achieving succession planning success: The importance of a holistic succession strategy
- African fintech, Web3 leaders to convene at Africa Money and DeFi summit in Accra
- Domelevo supports removal of Finance Minister and BoG Governor
- Sogbe Amalgamated Family Union launched to champion educational, economic, and social development
- CPP denies forming alliance with Alan Kyerematen ahead of 2024 general elections
- Ellembele MP clashes with DCE over fixing of deplorable roads in the constituency
- At least 9 killed in highway ambush at Pusiga
- Ablakwa challenges Jean Mensa to provide proof that Parliament restricted EC’s operations
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Arrest of protesters shameful, unlawful – Sammy Gyamfi
- His vision continues to inspire us – Ghanaians celebrate Kwame Nkrumah on his birthday
- Akufo-Addo urges international community to support efforts to resolve Africa’s conflict
- Aflao Border main gate temporary closed for security screening – Ghana Immigration Service