Audio By Carbonatix
A man who punched his three-year-old daughter so hard that he broke her jaw has been jailed for 16 months.
The 30-year-old single father, who was living in East Cambridgeshire, lashed out at his daughter after she began 'messing around' in her bedroom.
The cruel blow broke the youngster’s jaw and caused two painful fractures either side of her mouth.
However, the man - who cannot be named for legal reasons - failed to take his daughter to hospital immediately and later claimed she sustained the injuries after falling over in a park.
Sentencing him at Cambridge Crown Court Judge Jonathan Haworth said he had 'abused' his position of power.
He said: 'You were the sole carer of a three-year-old child and you hit her so hard she fell off the stool. It was a deliberate blow to a vulnerable victim.
This was an abuse of your position of trust as carer for the child and you failed to seek any medical assistance for her as you put your fear of punishment ahead of her need for medical treatment.'
He initially told police his daughter sustained injuries when she fell over at a play park but later admitted punching her at his home.
He admitted assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and child cruelty for needlessly leaving the girl unattended in her room.
The 30-year-old was sentenced to 16 months in jail for assault and three months for child cruelty, which will be served concurrently.
Robert O’Sullivan, prosecuting, said the man told police he had been sitting in his daughter’s room when she started 'messing around'.
He said: 'When officers put it to him that he must have used considerable force he said "perhaps I hit her quite hard then".'
Roger Harrison, mitigating, described the man as a 'dedicated father' and said the fractures were as a result of the girl falling on the floor, not his punch.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours