Former Black Queens player Patricia Ofori was killed in a car accident Wednesday in Huntsville in the United States.
The 29-year-old, who played in two World Cups, lost control of her Ford Mustang while driving.
Her car slid into the northbound lane, where it was hit by a pickup truck and caught fire.
She started her career in Ghana with Mawuena Ladies before she was called to the national team in 2003.
Ofori, played for the Bulldogs from 2005-2007 and led the team to the 2007 Southwestern Athletic Conference championship and a berth in the NCAA Tournament.
Patricia Ofori was an alumini of Alabama A&M University where she excelled in a football and studies.
“This is the biggest shock of my life,” A&M women’s soccer coach Frank Davies said. “It’s unbelievable.”
She was a second-team All-SWAC selection in 2005 and also played on two World Cup teams with Ghana.
According to Diane Wilkinson Snoddy, an instructor at A&M, Ofori, who was in graduate school, was on the way to class when the accident happened.
“She was a wonderful person and one of the world’s great soccer players,” Snoddy said.
- The new Ashanti Regional Hospital at Sewua in pictures
- ‘Gari and beans’ lowers risk of belly fat, obesity
- Messi misses out on 2022 Ballon d’Or as Cristiano Ronaldo, Salah, Benzema, Mane, others get nominated
- ‘A lot of people do not subscribe to prepaid’ – Lower Manya Krobo MP explains youth protest
- Asanteman walk for Alan non-political – NPP stalwart
- Playback: Newsfile discusses Ghana’s Fitch downgrade and Labianca case
- ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ actually in need of more aid – Bokpin
- Labianca case: Special Prosecutor’s findings not surprising – GII
- Special Prosecutor’s findings in Labianca case technically flawed – Customs Staff Association
- Barcelona register 4 new signings in time for opener
BoG gives assurance cedi’s stability will be restored
Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie stabbed in the neck
‘Gari and beans’ lowers risk of belly fat, obesity
Special Prosecutor’s findings in Labianca case technically flawed – Customs Staff Association
Schools under trees: Pupils of Apaaso DA Basic School near Kintampo appeal for help
Akufo-Addo, Ya-Na commend Farouk Aliu Mahama for Yendi City Project initiative
Labianca case: Special Prosecutor’s findings not surprising – GII
‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ actually in need of more aid – Bokpin
Bulk importers to be one of the hardest hit by Ghana’s poor credit ratings – AGI
Ghana’s economic rating downgrade reflects reality – Theo Acheampong
Asanteman walk for Alan non-political – NPP stalwart
Messi misses out on 2022 Ballon d’Or as Cristiano Ronaldo, Salah, Benzema, Mane, others get nominated
Brazil winger Willian leaves Corinthians after ‘receiving death threats’
Barcelona register 4 new signings in time for opener
Prosecution granted access to track phone calls of suspects in Asamankese chieftaincy violence