Local government expert and former President of the National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana (NALAG) George Kyei-Baffour, has died.
He passed on at about 5.a.m Saturday, at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital where he had been on admission for about two weeks.
His elder sister, Hannah Kyei, confirmed the sad news to myjoyonline.com at the family house at Konongo in Ashanti Region.
According to her, Mr Kyei-Baffuor was referred to KATH after being admitted initially at Odumase Government Hospital.
The former presiding member of the defunct Asante Akim North District Assembly was rejected twice in 2017 by members of the Asante Akim Central Assembly when he was nominated for Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) by President Akufo-Addo.
He later revealed that assembly members failed to give him the nod, despite his extensive expertise in local governance, because he had refused to pay money for them to endorse him.
Mr Kyei-Baffuor represented Konongo-Ahenbronum Electoral Area as Assemblyman before becoming Presiding Member for the then Asante Akim North District Asembly which comprised current Asante Akim Akim North and Central assemblies respectively.
He was subsequently elected President of the National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana (NALAG) in 2004, a position he held until 2007.
He was vocal in the campaign for the election of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives.
Until his death, Mr. Kye-Baffuor was Asante-Akyem Central Constituency Chairman of the New Patriotic Party.
He is survived by wife, Nana Yaa and 10 children.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group