A joint committee between Ghana and Nigeria is to be established to consider a possible Ghana-Nigeria Friendship Act to put to an end decades of retail feud among traders of both countries.
This was made known when the Speakers of Ghana and Nigeria’s Parliament issued a joint communique to that effect.
The Spokesperson of Nigeria’s House of Representative, Benjamin Kalu, said while addressing the representatives of both countries at the sending-off ceremony of Nigeria’s representatives.
“The joint committee will be established composed of members from both legislatures to expose and explore the possible passage of reciprocal legislations which could potentially be called the Ghana Nigeria Friendship Act which shall propose the Ghana-Nigeria Council.”
He also indicated that to address the consequences of Ghana enforcing the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre Act, 2013 (Act 865) which led to the closure of shops belonging to foreign nationals including some Nigerians, “measures will be adopted to support law-abiding traders to properly regularise the business operation to alleviate the trade challenges occasion by the alleged closure of retail stores in view of the ravaging impact of COVID-19 pandemic on businesses and families of both countries.”
Mr. Kalu lamented about the toll of the protracted feud on the relationship between Ghana and Nigeria.
“In cognisance of the negative impact, these developments could have on the brotherly relationship that has existed between our most revered countries in the sub region.”
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Ghana’s 4x100m men’s relay team set to pitch camp in Europe ahead of Olympics
- Woman allegedly murders elder sister over a piece of land
- Companies continue to export rosewood to China despite ban – Inusah Fuseini
- Ramadan: UDS Dean of Education condemns Wesley Girls SHS management
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
- Seek economic assistance from IMF to save economy from troubles – Finance Lecturer
Woman breaks record as she delivers 9 babies at a goal
Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa: Earlier generations used our secondary school system to foster unity
CAF postpones FIFA World Cup African qualifiers
Australian mother convicted of killing her 4 children petitions for a pardon
NSMQ 2021: Presec beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
Ghana Rising: Outlook on Ghana’s promising future as a 21st Century economy
GNAT urged to provide affordable housing scheme for teachers
I have been running from the Elder position for almost 3years – Sam George
263 died through road accidents in April alone – MTTD reveals
Chelsea “feel good” about facing Man City in Champions League final – Thomas Tuchel
Kofi Tweneboah: #FixTheCountry – This is your chance to take a stand, fellow youth
Playback: NSMQ 2021: Legon Presec, Achimota and Odorgonno battle for Greater Accra Regional supremacy
Bright Simons joins Salzburg Global’s Board of Directors
Don’t depend on your children when you retire, it’s a “money mistake” – EDC boss
#FixTheCountry: Any Ghanaian who has a problem with campaign must have citizenship revoked – Sam George