The headline sponsor of the Black Stars, Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) has assured the players and technical team of their total support and commitment ahead of the team’s tricky quarterfinal clash against Cape Verde on Saturday.
In an exclusive report, Fans Diaries captured the board chairman of GNPC, Mr. Ato Ahwoi assuring the Black Stars of their unflinching support after they beat Niger 3-0 in their last group B game to qualify to the second round of Afcon 2013.
“Well done to all of you for making Ghana proud. Now, I’m going back to Accra to bring more resources for the next stage of the competition as promised” he said.
In football circles, Mr. Ahwoi is well known for his role as one of the architects who helped transform Accra Hearts of Oak on their way to winning the African Champions League in 2000. That same year, Hearts won the domestic league and FA Cup titles.
Observers of the game believe that Mr Ahwoi’s vast football management experience and influence could prove to be a huge advantage for the Black Stars.
Addressing the players in the addressing room he said, “By Friday, your package should be here in South Africa and God willing, I’ll be back when we get to the semi- final stage”.
Mr. Ahwoi also commended the stars on their team output. “I wish to congratulate you for the team spirit you have been displaying on and off the pitch because a team without a united front can never succeed”.
The Black Stars take on Cape Verde – who finished second in a group comprising hosts South Africa, Angola and Morocco – on Saturday 2nd February at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
Kuami Eugene reacts after KiDi said his communication is poor
Egg vendors in Kumasi lament about poor quality and sizes of eggs on the market
Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
Jobberman Ghana stirs initiative to enable SMEs hire the right way
‘Securing NDC’s Future’ forum alien to party executives – Peter Otokunor
Chief Justice set to establish tax court to help GRA prosecute defaulters
Ghanaian women stranded in Saudi Arabia call on Akufo-Addo for help
Gyakie’s ‘Forever’ at number 3 on Billboard Top Triller Chart
Mary Elizabeth Van Dyck
NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
New cocoa management system to promote transparency
Thirteen drown as vehicle plunges into canal in Philippines
GNC complies with EPA directives to stop pollution of Tano River
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse
Vanessa Bryant shares intimate wedding picture to mark 20th anniversary with Kobe Bryant