Audio By Carbonatix
The government has begun processes to release GH¢41 million to settle book and research allowances owed to members of the Colleges of Education Teachers Association of Ghana (CETAG) for the 2023/2024 academic year.
The Minister of Education, Haruna Iddrisu, disclosed this during the 14th Congregation and 96th Anniversary celebrations of St John Bosco’s College of Education in Navrongo in the Upper East Region.
CETAG has been on strike since November 24, 2025, over the delayed implementation of an arbitral award issued by the National Labour Commission (NLC) in May 2023. The industrial action has disrupted academic activities across colleges of education nationwide.
Addressing the gathering, Mr Iddrisu said the Ministry of Finance had made significant progress in processing the funds and appealed to the striking lecturers to suspend the action to allow teaching and learning to resume.
“I am aware that the Government, through the Minister for Finance [Dr. Ato Forson] is processing the release of GH¢41 million for your book and research allowance for 2023–2024. It is in process. It is now between the Controller and the Accountant-General’s Department and your bank accounts,” he said.
The Education Minister gave assurances that the allowances would be paid shortly, expressing confidence that disbursement would be completed within a week.
“We will pay you, and we will pay you within the next one week. By February 9, 2026, normal academic work should be restored in all colleges of education throughout Ghana,” he stated.
Mr Iddrisu further urged CETAG members to consider the impact of the strike on students, stressing the need for a stable academic atmosphere to support effective teaching and learning. He noted that the government had already shown goodwill by settling arrears inherited from previous years and encouraged continued dialogue to resolve outstanding concerns.
“We should not get to a point of conflict over the unpaid book and research allowance. Let us maintain a serene academic environment so that our children can learn,” he said.
He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to constructive engagement with education sector workers and to meeting its obligations promptly, as part of efforts to ensure lasting industrial harmony.
Latest Stories
-
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
50 minutes -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
1 hour -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
1 hour -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
2 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
3 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
5 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
5 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
6 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
6 hours
