The concept of women’s empowerment has always been familiar, yet its profound impact remained somewhat elusive to me. I had often declined invitations to similar events, dismissing them as repetitive. However, my perspective took a complete turn when I encountered HD+ and attended the inaugural LeadHERS Xperience.
The lineup of diverse speakers immediately caught my attention, representing a range of fields and backgrounds. This intriguing blend prompted me to finally attend the HD+ LeadHERS Xperience, an all-female panel event.
On July 19th, 2023, I made my way to the Silicon House Production Studios, arriving at 11:30 AM, brimming with anticipation. The event’s setup impressed me, a testament to my background in décor. My expectations soared, dispelling any notions of a lacklustre empowerment event.
The venue welcomed me with a vibrant display of Ghanaian culture, highlighted by the enchanting musical performance by the Wulomei band, a group I had long admired.
The event commenced with an invigorating opening by Adelaide Abbiw-Williams, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of SES HD+ Ghana. Her empowering words resonated deeply, urging women to unite, break barriers, and reach for the stars.
The panel discussion that followed was truly enlightening. I felt privileged to hear from accomplished female leaders spanning technology, security, education, governance, sports, and entrepreneurship. The conversation was an enlightening journey, an education not just for me, but for all fortunate enough to be part of the maiden HD+ LeadHERS Xperience.
A recurring theme that struck a chord was the imperative for parents to support and groom their children from infancy to be bold, responsible and take up leadership roles. The accomplished female panellists, leaders in their respective fields, emphasized the crucial role their parents especially fathers played in their advancement. Repeatedly, the leaders expressed gratitude to their fathers for their unwavering support and encouragement. This emphasis on support resonated deeply, reinforcing the notion that true progress thrives on collective empowerment.
I recall the impactful words of Pan Macdonald (Chief People and Culture Officer, SES SA), Adelaide Abbiw-Williams (CEO of SES HD Plus), Patience Baffoe-Bonnie Esq (Director of Services; Ghana Prisons Service), Dr. Lucy Agyepong (Vice President of Institutional Advancement at Academic City University College), Valeri Labi (Co-Founder and CEO of Wahu), Mercy Taggoe-Quarcoo (First Female Head Coach of the Black Queens), and the other speakers. They openly appreciated the unwavering support of their fathers, positioning them as the champions of their success. This resonated deeply with me, affirming the importance of parental empowerment.
The HD+ LeadHERS Xperience is a resounding recommendation for female leaders and aspiring trailblazers. It encapsulates the essence of reaching for greater heights while offering tangible steps and strategies to navigate the complexities of the competitive corporate world. Today, I proudly label myself an ambassador of the HD+ LeadHERS Xperience, committed to attending future events and encouraging more friends to partake in this impactful journey.
The writer is a student of the University of Media, Arts and Communication (UniMAC) GIJ Chapter.
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert