Audio By Carbonatix
South Dayi MP Rockson-Nelson Defeamekpor has chastised the Attorney General, Godfred Yeboah Dame, for accusing him of misleading the Speaker of Parliament regarding an alleged interlocutory injunction he had filed.
On March 20, Parliament suspended the consideration of the nomination of Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State by President Akufo-Addo.
According to the Speaker, Alban Bagbin this move follows an interlocutory injunction filed at the Supreme Court by Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor on Wednesday.
- Read also: Parliament suspends approval of Akufo-Addo’s new ministers, deputies amid row over anti-gay bill
In his final address to the House before adjourning sitting on the Speaker said the lawsuit makes it impossible for Parliament to vet and process the new ministers nominated by President Akufo-Addo.
Commenting on the issue during Joy FM's Midday News, Mr Dame insisted that no interlocutory injunction had been filed.
He clarified that after a thorough check at the registry of the Supreme Court between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., no injunction had been filed nor served, but merely a writ of summons had been issued.
Mr Dame argued that this summons was filed without a statement of case to support it. He added that a writ of summons without a statement of case is not properly constituted.
On the same show, Mr Defeamekpor insisted that he had filed an interlocutory injunction on Wednesday, March 20, and is therefore surprised that the Attorney General holds that view.
“The injunction application was committed to the registry of the court yesterday and filed. So if the Attorney General claims that he has conducted a search, I'll be willing to see the content of that search,” he said.
Responding to the Attorney General's concern that the case had not even been served, the South Dayi MP said that he was not a staff of the Supreme Court tasked with serving the case.
He continued by stating that the Attorney General was very much aware of the legal process, so for him to use that as grounds for his argument was wrong.
"I don't serve process. It is the court that serves. So is the court that will establish that the process has been served or not? It's not the party who serves. And the AG knows,” he said.
He continued “What baffles me is that the Attorney General is a party in this matter. Then he comes on the radio and makes very spurious comments. And I find it very offensive. He is the leader of the bar.
"He's the Attorney General and the Minister of Justice of the Republic of Ghana. You should stop this radio legal argument," he added.
Latest Stories
-
Fernandes named Premier League player of season
9 minutes -
BoG failed in its supervisory role in GN Bank crisis — Senyo Hosi
14 minutes -
Mahama cuts sod for Bole College of Education, unveils major development projects for Savannah Region
42 minutes -
NDC tightens control over media representation
44 minutes -
GN Savings licence revocation came as a shock – Dr Kweku Ndoum
45 minutes -
GN Bank was not insolvent before downgrade and licence revocation – Kweku Ndoum
46 minutes -
US tells foreigners seeking green cards: Return to your countries to apply
50 minutes -
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding
52 minutes -
Without discipline, Ghana risks a return to IMF – CPS Director warns
1 hour -
Minority caucus demands immediate laying of BoG accounts before Parliament
1 hour -
Black Sherif takes victory lap to Telecel Ghana HQ after 27th TGMA sweep
1 hour -
Build inclusion into core of workplace culture – Telecel Ghana HR Director
1 hour -
The youth are drowning – Vivies Dance and Theatre Academy sparks national conversation on addiction
1 hour -
Bank of Ghana revoked GN Savings & Loans licence solely on insolvency grounds, not other alleged breaches — Lawyer for GN reveals
1 hour -
Justice for Sale: How Ghana’s laws protect the powerful and punish the poor
2 hours