Flagbearer aspirant of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Dr Kwabena Duffuor has said he will prioritize the restoration of the Tema Oil Refinery (TOR) to full operating capacity, if elected as flagbearer and subsequently President of Ghana.
The former finance minister who is one of four contenders for the leadership of the main opposition party going into the 2024 general elections was speaking to party delegates during a campaign tour of the greater Accra region this week.
The Tema Oil Refinery (TOR) shut down its operations in June 2018 due to several management issues including an inability to make available steady supply of crude oil, a main raw material for the refinery.
He believes that TOR is one of Ghana’s biggest national assets which must not be left to deteriorate especially at a time that it is essential to bring down the cost of petroleum products, critical for the economic well-being of all Ghanaians.
The renowned economist told NDC party supporters that he will fix TOR and commit to ensuring that the refinery operates efficiently and sustainably, providing affordable fuel to the people of Ghana.
“I understand the importance of TOR to the Ghanaian economy, and if given the opportunity to lead, I will work tirelessly to bring it back to full operation. The high cost of petroleum products is a significant burden on the average Ghanaian, and we must do everything we can to make fuel prices more affordable,” Dr. Duffuor assured.
He explained that his plan to revive TOR includes a comprehensive review of the refinery’s operations and infrastructure as well as the implementation of sustainable measures to ensure that the refinery runs efficiently. He added that he will also work with industry experts to explore alternative sources of crude oil to ensure a steady supply for the refinery.
Dr. Kwabena Duffuor who was once governor of the Bank of Ghana said his plan to revive TOR will not only bring down the cost of petroleum products but also create job opportunities for Ghanaians and contribute to the country’s economic growth.
Supporters of Dr. Duffuor have hailed his commitment to bringing back TOR to full operation as testament to his vision for a better Ghana and his dedication to making life more affordable for all Ghanaians.
As the NDC Presidential primary elections approach, Dr. Duffuor’s pledge to revive TOR is one of the many policy initiatives that he is presenting to the grassroots with the confidence that his vision for a better Ghana will resonate with voters and bring about the change that NDC and Ghana needs at the moment.
- I didn’t attend the seminary to become a Priest – Rev. Akua Boateng
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Livestream: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- Ghana is not poor, we are only being poorly managed – Dr. Ali-Nakyea
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- Eugene Osei-Tutu: State funding of political parties; are we ready?
- Ho Central NDC primaries: It is time to reward loyalty and hard work – Randsford Kasu
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- Beyoncé and Adidas reportedly end partnership
- Foreign on indigenous: A look at Ghana’s fashion industry
- 2023 Onga Cook Art: Keta SHTS defeats Mafi Adidome SHS and three other schools to qualify for zonals
- Damongo primaries: Adam Mutawakilu should go unopposed – NDC polling station executives
- Parliament adopts new rules as MPs vote on fate of ministerial appointees
- Twitter will kill ‘legacy’ blue checks on April 1
- Minority to ‘do everything possible’ to reject Ministerial nominees – Murtala Muhammed
- Off-duty pilot flying as passenger takes over plane after captain becomes incapacitated mid-flight
- Qpee Vibez out with new Afrobeats song titled ‘Allo’
- US Vice President to visit Ghana on March 27 to deepen bilateral relations, strengthen trade and investment
- MUSIGA to hold elections on August 8 after 4 years of postponements
- 7 surprisingly erotic zones in the body