Audio By Carbonatix
The Mission Chief of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) currently in Ghana has said the main objective of the Mission was to engage with the new government on their policies and programmes.
Joel Toujas-Bernate stated that they are would also take stock of the latest developments and apprise government on how the IMF program implementation has gone so far.
He said although the Fund knew the risks involved when entering into the programme with Ghana, especially those relating to election year overruns, they were quite concerned about the current fiscal deficit situation, hence the need by the current government to restore macroeconomic stability and entrench fiscal discipline.
Mr Toujas-Bernate was speaking when an 11-member IMF mission, currently in Ghana paid a courtesy call on the Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta Wednesday.
The IMF Team was led by Mr Toujas-Bernate and Natalia Koliadina, who is the IMF Resident Representative in Ghana.
Mr Ofori-Atta welcomed the team and assured them of government’s commitments to the Fund programme.
He said government was seriously concerned with the high deficit as it does not allow enough fiscal space to undertake growth projects and create jobs, two key priority areas of government.
The economist reiterated government’s resolve to ensuring fiscal discipline and protecting the public purse adding during the recent budget hearings, Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDA's) were briefed and given copies of the Public Financial Management (PFM) Act.
He added that government was committed to undertaking reforms in revenue management, exemptions regime, statutory funds and removal of nuisance taxes to propel growth.
Senior Minister, Osafo-Marfo stated that Ghana’s current economic problem was solvable and expressed governments commitment to work together with the IMF to put Ghana on the right path adding, “the problem is solvable and doable”.
He debunked erroneous impressions of election year budget overruns as untrue since, in 2004, Ghana’s deficit was less than 5%.
Also present were the Chief Director of Ministry of Finance (MoF), Mr. Patrick Nomo; Governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr. Abdul-Nashiru Issahaku; Kweku Kwarteng, MP; Mr. Charles Adu Boahen, a member of the Transition Team and some Directors of MoF.
Latest Stories
-
T-bills auction: Interest rates fell sharply to 6.4%; government exceeds target by 170%
1 hour -
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
2 hours -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
3 hours -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
3 hours -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
3 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
3 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
5 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
5 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
6 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
6 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
7 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
7 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
7 hours
