Audio By Carbonatix
The 83-year-old man kidnapped in the Bunkprugu/Nakpanduri district has escaped from captivity, his family has confirmed to JoyNews.
According to the family, the man fled from his captives on Tuesday.
The victim, KonYan Yariban, was taken hostage last week on witchcraft allegation by a group of people. They had accused him of having a hand in the death of their family relative.
He denied the allegation but the family insisted he must face a witchdoctor.
And after several failed frantic efforts, the man was kidnapped on August 3 and allegedly taken to a notorious camp in Togo where all his family members were barred from having access to him.
The family after Mr Yariban's kidnap called on the District Police Commander and the IGP to help them find him.
Speaking to JoyNews' Eliasu Tanko the 89-year-old, who is now with his family, said he was physically tortured and fed with blood concoctions before he submitted and gave false confessions.
The eldest son of the victim, Nathaniel Yariban, said the 89-year-old has been examined, treated and for security reasons relocated to another village.
This development comes after his family made an agreement with the abductors to pay a ¢600 ransom.
He stated that the money according to his father narrations was supposed to be used to complete the rituals which determines whether the man was innocent or not.
The family after seeing KonYan Yariba said they will not pay the ransom demanded.
Nathaniel Yariban added that police in the district has been informed of the new development but the family has been referred to the regional police command.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
60 minutes -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
2 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
2 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
2 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
3 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
4 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
4 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
4 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
4 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
4 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
5 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
5 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
5 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
5 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
6 hours