A member of the Council of State, Nii Kotei Dzani has condemned attacks in Ada East District during confirmation polls for the nominated District Chief Executive (DCE).
In a press statement, he solidarised with the victims of the “cowardly attack.”
“I was ashamed to view video footage of the incident, which clearly showed some police personnel standing idly by at the premises where the regrettable incidents took place,” he observed.
Mr Dazni urged the Police Administration to take urgent steps to identify and bring to book those officers who abdicated their duties so publicly, which he believes will positively boost their public image.
“I charge all relevant security agencies to rise to their constitutional mandates and combat the creeping lawlessness in our midst, no matter the affiliations of the instigators of such violent occurrences,” he added.
Below is his statement
It was with profound sadness that I received the news this afternoon of an attack on members of the Ada East District Assembly during confirmation polls for the nominated District Chief Executive (DCE), allegedly perpetrated by the so-called "Invisible Forces", a notorious vigilante group.
In this moment, I wish to express my solidarity with the victims of this cowardly attack, innocent Ghanaians peacefully discharging their democratic duties. As a country, it is time we rid ourselves of factionalism of all kinds, especially those borne out of political divisions, in order that we can pull together as one people working to realize a common vision of development and prosperity for our country and people.
I was ashamed to view video footage of the incident, which clearly showed some police personnel standing idly by at the premises where the regrettable incidents took place. I urge the Police Administration to take urgent steps to identify and punish those officers who abdicated their duties so publicly, in order to restore the reputation of the Police Service in the eyes of the public.
Further, I wish to remind all government appointees to be mindful of the fact that it is from the same Constitution that all of us derive our offices, irrespective of the level in the governance structure in which we serve. That is why we must all be tolerant and respectful of each other and condemn behaviours that project violence against one another.
I charge all relevant security agencies to rise to their constitutional mandates and combat the creeping lawlessness in our midst, no matter the affiliations of the instigators of such violent occurrences. It is only by uniformly and consistently applying the law that the needed deterrence would be established against those that operate outside the boundaries of the law. In this particular instance, I am committed to seeing through the processes that will ensure justice for all who fell victim to this afternoon's aggression and violence.
As always, I stand ready to offer my support in any way I can to achieve a harmonious society for all who reside within this beautiful land of our birth.
DR. NII KOTEI DZANI
(Member, Council of State)
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- US senator Bob Menendez charged with bribery after wads of cash and gold bars found at home
- GPL 2023/24: Bofoakwa Tano score late to beat RTU at home
- Sudan war: Army chief Burhan claims he’s ready for peace talks
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest and OSP-Cecilia saga
- Former Bantama MP, Okyem Aboagye dead
- Mahama Ayariga condemns killing of 9 in highway ambush at Pusiga
- Inaki Williams scores and assists as Athletic Bilbao beat Alaves
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: BBC News journalist who was arrested by police speaks up
- Modern Floors products to be available in Northern Ghana soon – CEO
- I hate Manchester United because they made Sammy Kuffour cry – Gifty Oware-Mensah
- Corrupt officials are like termites… eating the very foundation of our democracy – Torgbe Afede XIV