A member of the Council of State, Nii Kotei Dzani has condemned attacks in Ada East District during confirmation polls for the nominated District Chief Executive (DCE).
In a press statement, he solidarised with the victims of the “cowardly attack.”
“I was ashamed to view video footage of the incident, which clearly showed some police personnel standing idly by at the premises where the regrettable incidents took place,” he observed.
Mr Dazni urged the Police Administration to take urgent steps to identify and bring to book those officers who abdicated their duties so publicly, which he believes will positively boost their public image.
“I charge all relevant security agencies to rise to their constitutional mandates and combat the creeping lawlessness in our midst, no matter the affiliations of the instigators of such violent occurrences,” he added.
Below is his statement
It was with profound sadness that I received the news this afternoon of an attack on members of the Ada East District Assembly during confirmation polls for the nominated District Chief Executive (DCE), allegedly perpetrated by the so-called "Invisible Forces", a notorious vigilante group.
In this moment, I wish to express my solidarity with the victims of this cowardly attack, innocent Ghanaians peacefully discharging their democratic duties. As a country, it is time we rid ourselves of factionalism of all kinds, especially those borne out of political divisions, in order that we can pull together as one people working to realize a common vision of development and prosperity for our country and people.
I was ashamed to view video footage of the incident, which clearly showed some police personnel standing idly by at the premises where the regrettable incidents took place. I urge the Police Administration to take urgent steps to identify and punish those officers who abdicated their duties so publicly, in order to restore the reputation of the Police Service in the eyes of the public.
Further, I wish to remind all government appointees to be mindful of the fact that it is from the same Constitution that all of us derive our offices, irrespective of the level in the governance structure in which we serve. That is why we must all be tolerant and respectful of each other and condemn behaviours that project violence against one another.
I charge all relevant security agencies to rise to their constitutional mandates and combat the creeping lawlessness in our midst, no matter the affiliations of the instigators of such violent occurrences. It is only by uniformly and consistently applying the law that the needed deterrence would be established against those that operate outside the boundaries of the law. In this particular instance, I am committed to seeing through the processes that will ensure justice for all who fell victim to this afternoon's aggression and violence.
As always, I stand ready to offer my support in any way I can to achieve a harmonious society for all who reside within this beautiful land of our birth.
DR. NII KOTEI DZANI
(Member, Council of State)
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor-General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- Declare state of emergency in mining areas – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana’s economy further within junk status
- Nana Ampadu to be buried on October 8
- Ghana’s Marcia Ashong is among 2022 most influential people of African descent
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- DBG partners GIRSAL to train staff of financial institutions on Agric-Financing
- Woman leaves husband after discovering he secretly love her sister
- Ajax want to qualify from the group stage – Mohammed Kudus
- GIJ SRC Women’s Commission launches 2022 women’s week celebration
- FBNBank supports Rotary community projects
- Reputation is very important – Alhassan Andani tells FBNBank talent cohort
- Fire destroys shops at leather section of Kumasi Central Market
- GWCL assures regular water supply despite flooding incidents
- Capt Ibrahim Traoré: From shy schoolboy to military ruler
- Choosing Chelsea over United was ‘best decision of my life’ – Mikel Obi
- Neighbour rescues 13 Zambia women held for six months
- Mankessim murder: Court adjourns case to allow police more time to investigate
- Nima Dreams: ‘Inadequate pitches causing decline in football talents’ – Mohammed Polo