Audio By Carbonatix
President John Mahama said if the Nima Police had been better briefed, Sunday's clash between supporters of the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) and New Patriotic Party (NPP) would not have happened.
He said contrary to reports, the NDC supporters were merely passing through the area which is close to the residence of the NPP flagbearer, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo when the scuffle broke out.
“Only last Sunday, we almost had a clash which was unfortunate, if any of those firearms had been fired and someone had dropped dead it would have been a completely different story,” he said.
President Mahama made these remarks when he addressed Business owners and leaders in Accra, Tuesday.
The clash between supporters of the NDC and the NPP has pushed issues about the security of the December 7 polls to the fore.
Many are hoping the polls would be devoid of violence as has been promised by the various stakeholders' in the general elections.
Functionaries of the NPP and NDC have given different accounts about the true cause of the incident.
NPP has accused the NDC of first starting the violence. The NDC through the John Mahama 2016 Campaign has also blamed the NPP.
With 22 days to the presidential and parliamentary elections, many security experts have cautioned the security apparatus to prioritize flash points in the country in order to stop possible conflict situations.
United States Ambassador to Ghana, Robert Jackson and United Kingdom High Commissioner, Jon Benjamin have both waded into the issue, warning their Embassies will deny or revoke visas of those who instigate violence in the country ahead of the elections.
The Ghana Police Service has instituted an investigation into circumstances that led to the incident in order to charge the perpetrators.
But the President said the police should have mapped out strategies to avert the violence by anticipating the situation from the beginning.
“I think that the police at Nima should have been better briefed knowing that this group was passing through,” he said.
He said the incident must send a signal to the security operatives to put in place appropriate safeguards to ensure that such a thing does not happen.
Latest Stories
-
Keeny Ice celebrates landmark Wembley performance, thanks Stonebwoy after BHIM Festival UK
15 minutes -
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
30 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
37 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
40 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
43 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
46 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
51 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
1 hour -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
1 hour -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
1 hour -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
1 hour -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
2 hours -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
2 hours -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
2 hours -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
2 hours