Audio By Carbonatix
An Aviation expert, Dr. Yakubu Akparibo has stated that the Managing Director of McDan Aviation Services, Daniel McKorley should have secured the approval of the Ghana Airports Company before constructing the Private Jet Terminal at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) in Accra.
This he said is because “the Airports Company needs to know the time, the location of the facility and the number of staff and the kind of jets.”
Speaking on Top Story on Tuesday, he noted that this is essential due to the safety implications they may have on the operations of the airport.
His comment was in reaction to a directive issued by the Ghana Airports Company Limited (GACL) to the managers of the newly launched McDan Aviation to suspend the use of Terminal 1 of the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) until further notice.
In a letter signed on January 31, by the Managing Director of the Airports Company, Yaw Kwakwa, he referenced a notice to the company to suspend its inauguration of the Private Jet Terminal last Friday, which was not adhered to.
Consequently, Mr Kwakwa said, “We note with concern your failure to comply with the directive despite the outstanding issues on the prior terms and conditions for the use and operations of Terminal 1 as a Private Jet Terminal.
“Management has consequently directed the suspension of your use of Terminal 1 until further notice.”
The Aviation expert stated that he is surprised that GACL announced that it was not privy to the construction of the private jet facility.
He explained that “aviation operation is well structured and before any modification happens in an airport, there are always due processes to follow.
“So I’m very surprised that the Airport company would come out earlier to say that they were not even aware of the construction of the Terminal,” he added.
Meanwhile, McDan Aviation Services says it has suspended operations.
In a letter dated January 31, written by the Managing Director of the company, Daniel McKorley, he confirmed that they are following through with the GACL's order to suspend operations.
“We are writing to officially inform you about our decision to suspend our operations at the Fixed-Base Operator (FBO) with immediate effect,” the letter said.
McDan explained that “this has become necessary to pave way for us to thoroughly engage your outfit and all the key stakeholders on the way forward.”
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaians in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
15 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
24 minutes -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
36 minutes -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
53 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
1 hour -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
3 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
3 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
3 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
5 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
6 hours