Audio By Carbonatix
Moroccan authorities began organising the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit areas in northwestern Morocco as weather conditions improved, state media reported on Monday.
Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.
Most residents of Ksar El Kebir, 213 km north of Rabat, are now allowed to return home, except for those living in a few neighbourhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.
INVESTMENT PLAN TO UPGRADE INFRASTRUCTURE
Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other cities or in centres and camps provided by authorities, state TV reported.
Morocco plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister's office said last week, declaring the hardest‑hit municipalities disaster areas.
The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160% of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream following exceptional inflows, resulting in rising water levels in the Loukous River, which inundated Ksar El Kebir and the surrounding plains.
Rainfall this winter was 35% above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.
Morocco's national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70% from 27% a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.
The exceptional rainfall ended a seven-year drought that had prompted the country to increase investments in desalination.
Latest Stories
-
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
2 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
2 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
2 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
2 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
2 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
2 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
3 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
3 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappearing Man City
3 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
3 hours -
UHAS halts semester exams over administrative, logistical issues
4 hours -
ECG announces planned maintenance outages in parts of Ashanti Region
4 hours -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
4 hours -
The growing culture of vacation classes in Ghana: Should students rest or continue schoolwork?
5 hours -
E.P. Church secures radio frequency, prepares to launch Bremen Radio
6 hours