The 2016 NPP flagbearer Nana Akufo-Addo has described the murdered NPP activist, Abubakar Saddiq, as “a personal friend” as he mourned with the family of the deceased.
At a ceremony to mark one week after his tragic death, Nana Addo said Saddiq was always close to his entourage whenever he visited the Ashanti region.
He has donated GHC 2,500 for the funeral rites of Saddiq which has been slated for November 22,Joy News' Ashanti regional correspondent Prince Appiah reported.
Abubakar was killed last week Friday after assailants wielding machetes slashed him in broad day light. The pro-Nana Addo supporter was part of a group of party activists who closed down the constituency office in protest over comments made by the constituency chairman Isaac Brenya.
Photo:The Asawase constituency office of the NPP was the scene of protest
After the protest was staged Friday morning, two men attacked a defenseless Saddiq later in the afternoon. Police have arrested two party executives who have since been arraigned. The constituency chairman is also assisting with investigations.
There was a large gathering at the Asawase residence of the deceased as party supporters followed Nana Addo. Nana Addo condemned a growing resort to political violence in the party.
He demanded that there be no more bloodshed in the party. Saddiq is the second victim of political violence in the NPP this year after Upper West regional chairman of the party Adams Mahama was killed in an acid attack on May 20.
Father of the deceased asked Nana Addo to work to ensure the perpetrators are brought to book.
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians I know in Ghana – Prof. Stephen Adei
- How to check 2022 WASSCE provisional results
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- IMF confirms Ghana’s intention to conduct debt restructuring in 2023
- Ashanti Regional NSS Director suspended for verbally abusing a nurse
- Recent measures by government to revamp the economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Man and mistress involved in accident while chasing wife and her lover
- Lemonade Finance presents Delay in “Wo si woyε musician?”
- Hubtel extends operations to the Northern Region
- NACOC seizes Amphetamine tablets concealed in café worth $1.4m
- GRA to focus on Hospitality and Tourism Sector during festive season to rake in revenue
- COVID Levy: People feel scammed – Kofi Bentil
- Sam Jonah: Extractives, climate change and energy transition: what the future holds for Africa
- Darkovibes releases new single ‘Yao’
- Qatar 2022: Ghanaians want Black Stars to exact revenge on Uruguay
- WAEC releases provisional results for 2022 WASSCE; 8,486 candidates in trouble
- It’s not my fault Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty in 2010 – Luis Suarez
- Ashanti Regional Health Directorate engages stakeholders on Marburg virus prevention
- Conjugate vaccine in lessening typhoid burden in Ghana
- We still need to work hard to achieve our target – Otto Addo
- Ghana’s topmost CEOs to attend prestigious CEOs business networking cocktail