The Tema Police have arrested five Nigerians who allegedly raped a woman in the presence of her husband during a robbery attack at Community 25, Tema on May 8, 2019.
They were arrested last Friday after the couple sighted them walking in the neighbourhood.
The suspects are Ako Anthony, 36; Kelvin Damas, 23; Obas Godsay, 16; Donald Pande, 24 and Olufu Rhema, 16.
According to the Crime Officer of the Prampram Divisional Police Command, Chief Superintendent Cecilia Arko, the suspects attack mobile money vendors, mostly women, in their house with machetes and guns and rape them after taking away their valuables.
She said, about a month ago, four of the suspects attacked the couple at their residence at about 3 am.
According to her, the suspects who were aiming at a mobile money vendor mistakenly went to the house of the couple and held them hostage before demanding for money and valuables.
She said because the couple were unable to meet their demand, one of the suspects sent the woman into another room and forcibly had sex with her while his accomplices filmed the act with a cell phone.
Chief Superintendent Arko said last Thursday, the couple were walking in the neighbourhood when the woman spotted the suspect who removed his mask before filming the act.
She said she alerted her husband who confronted the suspect on the street.
She said the suspect took to his heels but was apprehended by neighbours after the man raised an alarm.
He was then handed over to the police and upon interrogation; he admitted the offence and led the police to his other accomplices.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- LEKMA road finally gets new contractor
- Deeper Life tackles immorality with campus congress
- Report wives who wear jeans to bed - DOVVSU
- You can pay to cuddle cows at this New York farm
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage