Audio By Carbonatix
Nigerian politician Peter Obi said he would run for president again in January after winning his party's nomination, setting up another contest between incumbent Bola Tinubu and a divided opposition.
Obi was declared the winner of the Nigeria Democratic Congress primary on Sunday, less than a month after quitting an alliance that had tried to set up a single opposition challenger.
The acceptance from Obi, who came third in the last election after galvanizing young voters, hit hopes among some opposition backers that he might return to the coalition.
It prepares the ground for a re-run of 2023's three-way contest that is likely to test whether public anger over rising living costs and insecurity can translate into votes against Tinubu, or whether the anti-government vote will once again be split.
"We must address insecurity with resolve and urgency, for no nation can thrive while its citizens live in trepidation," Obi said in a statement late on Sunday.
Nigeria is grappling with overlapping security crises that stretch far beyond the jihadist insurgency in the northeast, where Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province have waged a conflict for more than 15 years.
In the northwest, heavily armed gangs known locally as bandits carry out mass kidnappings for ransom and raids on villages and schools, while north-central states have also seen recurring violence linked to disputes over land and grazing routes.
Voters will also be focused on Tinubu's economic reforms, including the removal of fuel and electricity subsidies and ending currency controls, which have won over investors even as Nigerians watch their incomes and savings erode.
Higher global oil prices linked to the Iran conflict have added to the pressure, with Nigeria experiencing some of the steepest fuel price increases among major African economies.
Tinubu on Friday defended his reforms, saying they had stabilised the country and revived investor confidence, despite the squeeze on households.
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, runner-up in the last election, last week won the ticket to represent the African Democratic Congress party, in what will be his seventh presidential bid.
Leaders of other smaller parties are also expected to run.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
8 minutes -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
11 minutes -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
40 minutes -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
44 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
1 hour -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
1 hour -
‘4.3m JHS, 9.5m primary textbooks’ – Opoku Mensah tells Education spokesperson to check records
1 hour -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
1 hour -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
1 hour -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
1 hour -
‘Hungry to win’ – Villa’s Konsa joins Arsenal in £55m deal
1 hour -
Argentina’s Paredes banned for 10 games
1 hour -
Republic Bank Ghana and Enterprise Life launch enhanced insurance products for customers
2 hours -
Patrons explore property, construction solutions as Day 1 of Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair ends
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Anglican SHS cruise to one-eighth stage as Namong SHTS shine on debut
2 hours