Audio By Carbonatix
More than nine million Ghanaians, representing 45 percent of the population, have registered for the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
The scheme has set itself a national target coverage of 60 percent by the end of this year.
The Executive Secretary of the scheme, Mr. Ras Boateng, announced this in a speech read on his behalf during the presentation of 100 bicycles purchased at a cost of GH¢4,200 (¢42 million) for 100 registration and collection agents in the Hohoe District.
He explained that to meet the target, all the district schemes had been provided with 4x4 pickups to improve mobility.
Mr Boateng said other logistics such as computers and accessories, as well as bicycles had also been made available to the various schemes.
He added that a revised medicine list would be out by the beginning of October, this year, to help address problems associated with the present one.
Mr Boateng appealed to Ghanaians to join the scheme to enable them to benefit from its advantages instead of politicising it.
The Hohoe District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr John Peter Amewu, said the NHIS had come to replace the cash and carry system, which resulted in a lot of deaths since people could not afford the cost of health services.
He paid tribute to the management of the scheme for working hard to lay the necessary foundation for the implementation of the scheme.
The Hohoe District Manager of the NHIS, Mr Lawrence Sakada, said the scheme, which was launched in the district in 2005, had 67,000 registered members and a total of ¢5.2 billion had been paid on behalf of its clients.
He said further that 38,000 out of the registered members had been issued with identity cards, while a total of ¢948.7 million had been collected as premium.
Mr Sakada said the district scheme had set a target of 70 percent coverage by the end of this year, hence the need to make its agents mobile to enable them to reach the remote parts of the district.
He mentioned, as one of the major challenges facing the scheme in the district, the exclusion of some vital drugs from the central medicine list, which had resulted in the issuance of prescriptions to clients.
Source: Daily Graphic
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
3 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
9 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
12 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
15 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
16 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
19 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
20 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
21 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
27 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
35 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
37 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
40 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
45 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
45 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
52 minutes