Audio By Carbonatix
Parliament has opened a probe into allegations of repeated use of brutal force by the Police during riot control situations, leading to deaths and injuries.
The probe follows an oral presentation on the floor of the House Tuesday by Member of Parliament for Kumbungu, Ras Mubarack, who narrated the story of how a 19-year-old constituent who was shot by police last month.
He indicated that apart from an appropriate compensation for the victim, the larger issue of Police needs to be looked into.
Speaking on the floor of the House, the Kumbungu Legislator said in December 2016, the 19-year-old boy, Ganiru Abdul Rahman, was returning home from school when he was caught in a standoff between rioting youth of Dalun and Police.
He was hit in the leg by a stray bullet fired by the police, he told the House.
The teenager has been admitted at the Tamale West Hospital where he is receiving treatment, the MP revealed.
“I have been to the hospital to see the extent of his injury and commiserate with his family. I believe the whole house will join me in expressing revulsion and call on the police administration to institute an enquiry into the matter,” he said.
Speaker of Parliament Prof. Mike Oquaye then referred the matter of mounting allegations of sporadic shooting by the Police during riot situations to Parliament’s Committee on Interior for further investigations.
Minister Designate for Interior and Lawra Legislator, Ambrose Dery, has assured the House that reports of Police brutality will be given dealt with under his leadership.

Reports of alleged brutality by the institution charged with public safety are common.
During a 2015 demonstration by Let My Vote Count Alliance (LMVCA) to push for a clean electoral roll, Police allegedly beat up some of the demonstrators.
One demonstrator lost an eye when a teargas canister hit his face as Police moved to control the crowd.
Although the New Patriotic Party (NPP) called for a probe into the incident, it was not heeded.
Latest Stories
-
27-year-old spiritualist arrested over alleged attempt to use 11-year-old girl for ritual
12 minutes -
Galamsey could trigger major health crisis within five years — Medical experts warn
25 minutes -
Defending champions SUSEC, Twene Amanfo SHTS secure Bono Zone 2 spots in 2026 NPSC
38 minutes -
ICU-Ghana General Secretary Morgan Ayawine named Africa’s Most Respected CEO in Labour Leadership
39 minutes -
GTEC orders university administrators back to work, gives VCs 48 hours to name defiers
47 minutes -
Chief arrested for allegedly engaging in illegal mining in Tano North
50 minutes -
Fighting fires, fighting for breath: The hidden health toll on Ghana’s firefighters – and the support that still falls short
56 minutes -
Presbyterian Church of Ghana clarifies role of Christians in stool/skin offices
59 minutes -
‘There is no emergency’ – Godfred Dame criticises vacation hearing in Hanan case
1 hour -
Eco SIM and sustainability, making mobile technology greener
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Building a future-ready organization
1 hour -
The Hunger Project-Ghana commissions ICT Centre at Domi Achiansa Epicenter to bridge digital divide.
1 hour -
Dual Citizenship Headache: Will Ghanaians be ready for the new reality?
1 hour -
Afro-Arab Drive Green expands EV fleet to boost jobs through energy transition
1 hour -
Sunyani Paramount Chief warns chiefs against cemetery land sales and encroachment
1 hour