Heated exchanges were recorded in Parliament involving Foreign minister Shirley Ayorkor Botchway over malfeasance claims by the Minority.
Livid, the Minister who is Anyaa-Sowutuom MP confronted the National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who claimed, government had purchased a building in Norway at $12m for use as an embassy.
Photo: Okudzeto says this buidling in Oslo is to be used as Ghana’s embassy in Norway
The North Tongu MP who is Minority spokesperson on Foreign Affairs said the building was up for sale for $3.5m as at August 2017.
His claim stunned the House as both sides sat silent.
The NDC MP presented documents to the Speaker of Parliament Prof. Mike Oquaye to back his claims. The documents included a newspaper article which called the sale unethical, the NDC MP said.
But the papers was rejected as unreliable, Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reported. The Speaker called the documents ”internet production” not “validated by a stamp, seal...which will not be accepted in any court”.
But the Foreign Minister escalated the controversy outside the chamber of Parliament debunking the claims. Screaming at the NDC MP, the Minister said no purchase has been made in Norway.
Only an offer had been made, she said as journalists and parliamentarians surrounded the two MPs to witness the exchanges.
She expressed disappointment in the MP for failing to check with her ministry before proceeding to the floor of Parliament.
Another NDC MP Sam George also incurred the Minister’s wrath after she spotted him filming the confrontation. She shoved the phone off in an attempt to stop the recording.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal
- Gov't firms up deals for Agric mechanization, Yendi Water Projects
- Step back from vigilante groups, Kofi Abotsi counsels NPP, NDC
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama