Heated exchanges were recorded in Parliament involving Foreign minister Shirley Ayorkor Botchway over malfeasance claims by the Minority.
Livid, the Minister who is Anyaa-Sowutuom MP confronted the National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who claimed, government had purchased a building in Norway at $12m for use as an embassy.
Photo: Okudzeto says this buidling in Oslo is to be used as Ghana’s embassy in Norway
The North Tongu MP who is Minority spokesperson on Foreign Affairs said the building was up for sale for $3.5m as at August 2017.
His claim stunned the House as both sides sat silent.
The NDC MP presented documents to the Speaker of Parliament Prof. Mike Oquaye to back his claims. The documents included a newspaper article which called the sale unethical, the NDC MP said.
But the papers was rejected as unreliable, Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reported. The Speaker called the documents ”internet production” not “validated by a stamp, seal...which will not be accepted in any court”.
But the Foreign Minister escalated the controversy outside the chamber of Parliament debunking the claims. Screaming at the NDC MP, the Minister said no purchase has been made in Norway.
Only an offer had been made, she said as journalists and parliamentarians surrounded the two MPs to witness the exchanges.
She expressed disappointment in the MP for failing to check with her ministry before proceeding to the floor of Parliament.
Another NDC MP Sam George also incurred the Minister’s wrath after she spotted him filming the confrontation. She shoved the phone off in an attempt to stop the recording.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Unresolved kidnappings: Family, IMANI, lawyer doubt police commitment
- Ablakwa pushes for probe as confusion rocks NAM1 court appearance date
- Bawumia advocates inclusive governance in Africa
- 'I have nothing to hide' - Ex- Dep BoG Governor refutes complicity in banking crisis
- Arrest Kennedy Agyapong now! - Minority charge
- Nam1 trip waste of taxpayers’ money – Apaak
- Supreme Court suspends ruling on disputed Woyome-UT bank properties
- Ghana’s development under Akufo-Addo impressive – Madagascar President
- NDC would not abolish the free SHS policy – Mahama
- Ahmed's killing cannot end like others - Rawlings condemns “reckless” Agyapong
- Murdered investigator: No reason to narrow probe to Agyapong – Ken Attafuah
- Akufo-Addo, Mahama congratulate Ya Naa -elect
- Yaa Naa’s funeral ends with prayers for harmony
- Referendum and district elections slated for Sept
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed