The current public debt of GHC122.3 billion for-end-of last year could increase further when the final numbers are released Joy Business checks reveal.
Although figures released by the central bank on Friday in its Summary of Economic and Financial Data are provisional they suggest that the final numbers might be more than the GHC122.3 billion or possibly less.
Judging from previous instances, where the final numbers have always been higher than what has been put out by the Bank of Ghana, it is likely that the final debt numbers might be more than what has been put out.
If the figures go up it could give credence to earlier reports that the public debt might be higher than what was estimated.
The GHC122.3 billion debt translates into a department to-GDP-Ratio of 72.5 percent meaning it takes about 72.5 percent of the total value of Ghana's economy.
About GHC68 billion of the public debts were facilities or loans secured from outside the country, while GHC53.2 billion were from domestic borrowings.
The 72.5 percent still makes Ghana a high-risk debt distress country, a categorization by the International Monetary Funds (IMF), which is more of a warning that the country may have some challenges in payment its debts on time.
The Nana Akufo-Addo government in the 2017 Budget has promised to reduce the Debt to GDP ratio to about 71 percent.
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Goats ate seedlings planted under Green Ghana project because they were not protected – Environmentalist
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- Parliament pays GH¢8.5m out of GH¢13m owed ECG to avoid disconnection
- Playback: NDC delivered ‘True State of the Nation Address’
- Akufo-Addo’s silence on corruption in SONA was as loud as his guilt – Asiedu Nketia
- Economic crisis: Ghanaians want relief not flimsy excuses – Asiedu Nketiah tells Akufo-Addo
- Reduce all ex-gratia payments to one-third – CAC Ghana Chairman
- Corruption has defeated your family and friends government – Asiedu Nketiah tells Akufo-Addo
- Ada boat disaster: Owner arrested for overloading boat – NADMO
- Appiatse support fund bags GHC62million
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- Akufo-Addo’s promises have turned out to be scam – Asiedu Nketia
- French Embassy celebrates Francophonie week with a walk in Accra
- It is difficult to point out where the 20 million trees planted under Green Ghana are – Terungwa
- Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy to feature on Morgan Heritage’s ‘The Homeland’
- ‘Africa can offer support to the ICC’ says Dame at Justice Ministers’ Conference in London
- Pregnant woman fills potholes on Obuasi road
- Tonto steps down, Funke Akindele loses, Desmond Elliot wins – 7 celebrities in Nigeria’s 2023 election