Audio By Carbonatix
Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted to having met with then Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger before sealing a switch to Manchester United in the summer of 2003.
The Portuguese was an exciting emerging talent at that stage, with Europe’s top clubs aware of the potential he was showing at Sporting.
Barcelona and Real Madrid made their interest known, as did Serie A giants Inter, while meetings were held with the Gunners in north London.
In the end United got their man, with Sir Alex Ferguson moving to ensure that it would be the Red Devils who secured the signature of a much sought-after asset.
That show of faith was richly rewarded, with Ronaldo taking the first steps on the road to global superstardom in England before moving on to Real in 2009.
Things could have been very different, though, had one of his many other suitors won the race for his services.
Ronaldo told TVI on the transfer saga which shaped his future career: “There had been contacts with so many other teams, Valencia for example were one of them.
“I met with Arsene Wenger and was about to go to Arsenal.
“I talked to Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter too but after the friendly against Manchester United, who were already interested, they became even more interested and they sped up negotiations and signed me.”
Wenger has admitted in the past that he considers missing out on Ronaldo to be one of his biggest transfer regrets as a coach.
The Frenchman, who left Arsenal in 2018 after 22 years with the Premier League club, told the Gunners' official website: “The obvious player that comes to mind is Ronaldo.
“He was here with his mother and we were very close. Then Man United came in and they had Carlos Queiroz at the time, who was their coach. United played against Sporting Lisbon and Ronaldo was outstanding and they signed him.
“You could imagine at the time what it would have been like to have Thierry Henry and Ronaldo together. That would certainly have changed a little bit the history of my stay here as well.”
Wenger added on how the Gunners walked away from discussions: “There is always something you could have done differently, but the problem of negotiations is to know when you give in and when you don't give in.
“Once we were at 4.5 million pounds, we were still in negotiations... so we were very close. But Man United went to 12 million pounds, which we could not afford at the time.”
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
8 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
25 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
35 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
38 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
44 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
50 minutes -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
56 minutes -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
58 minutes -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour -
Work to resume on UHAS multi-purpose laboratory complex – Volta Regional Minister
1 hour
