Audio By Carbonatix
Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed the 2026 World Cup will be his last.
The 40-year-old, who has scored 953 goals for club and country, also said he would retire from football in "one or two years".
Next year's World Cup, taking place in Canada, Mexico and the United States, would be Ronaldo's sixth.
In an interview at the Tourise Summit in Riyadh, when asked whether 2026 would be his last World Cup, Ronaldo said: "Definitely, yes. I will be 41 years old, and I think [this] will be the moment in the big competition."
Ronaldo, who plays his club football in Saudi Arabia with Al-Nassr, is the all-time leading men's international goalscorer with 143 - while he continues to pursue a milestone 1,000 career goals.
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid, and Juventus player said last week he would retire "soon" but confirmed on Tuesday it would likely be in the next couple of years.
"Let's be honest, when I mean soon, it's probably one or two years, I'll still be at the game," he said.
Ronaldo helped Portugal to the Euro 2016 title, but the World Cup is one of the few major trophies missing from the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's cabinet.
Roberto Martinez's side have yet to qualify for next year's tournament but will secure their spot if they beat the Republic of Ireland on Thursday.
Latest Stories
-
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
2 minutes -
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
11 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
16 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
19 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
22 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
32 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
40 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
40 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
53 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
54 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
57 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour