Audio By Carbonatix
A Russian court has sentenced six Jehovah's Witnesses to jail for belonging to an "extremist organization" in the western city of Satatov. Since 2017 the movement founded in the USA has been outlawed in Russia.
Saratov's regional court imposed jail terms of two up to three-and-half years on the six Jehovah's Witnesses on Thursday after finding them "guilty" of continuing activities, according to multiple news agency reports Friday. The six were also barred from holding leadership positions for five years.
In 2017 Russia's Supreme Court outlawed the reclusive Christian-oriented movement, which reportedly has 170,000 followers in Russia and 8 million worldwide.
Russia's Orthodox Church, which is allied with President Vladimir Putin, had cast Jehovah's Witnesses — who reject military service and blood transfusions — as belonging to a foreign sect that erodes state institutions.
Putin himself reportedly said that movement members should not be seen as terrorists.
Thursday's jailings followed the conviction and jailing for six years of a Danish individual in Russia for his association with Jehovah's Witnesses last May.
Hundreds facing charges
Over 250 in Russia are facing criminal charges, with 41 in detention and 23 under house arrest, according to the movement.
Lawyers for the six planned to appeal the sentences, said Jarrod Lopes, a US-based spokesman for the group.
The jailings were fallaciously based on the thesis that faith in God was "a continuation" of extremist activities, said Lopes, adding that the six, quoting from the Bible, had told the court they harbored no animosity.
Those convicted, all men, had been jailed for nothing, said Rachel Denber of the US-based Human Rights Watch.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours