Senegal have been criticised after Sadio Mane continued playing despite suffering suspected concussion in a “sickening collision” with Cape Verde goalkeeper Vozinha.
The striker stayed on for several minutes after the incident during Tuesday’s Africa Cup of Nations match and scored before being taken off.
He tweeted he is “very well” and “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”.
Brain injury association Headway said Mane’s health had been put at risk.
“On the face of it, this seems to be yet another example of football putting results ahead of player safety,” said Luke Griggs, deputy chief executive of Headway.
“This was a sickening collision that clearly left both players in enough distress for a concussion to have surely been considered a possibility at the very least. At that point, the principle of ‘if in doubt, sit it out!’ should have resulted in Mane being substituted without another ball being kicked.”
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) said the way the situation was handled was “the responsibility of the team doctors, not Caf”.
Caf also said both Mane and Vozinha have been examined and their results are “normal”.
Vozinha was sent off for the challenge with Mane and had to be helped off the pitch while visibly unsteady on his feet.
Mane, however, remained on the pitch, despite seeming to lose consciousness in the incident. Six minutes later, he scored an excellent goal for Senegal, before laying down on the halfway line.
It was only then that he was substituted.
“The image of the player collapsing on the ground and having to be helped from the pitch after scoring his goal should tell you everything you need to know about the impact and the effect it had had on his brain,” added Griggs.
“Yet again, the desire to win is seen as being worth serious risks to players’ health. It is simply shocking that this continues to happen.
“This is now a real test of leadership for The Confederation of African Football and world governing body Fifa – particularly if Senegal declare Mane fit for Sunday’s quarter-final.
“If football wants to be taken seriously when it comes to concussion, it simply must take action to enforce and strengthen its protocols.”
In a statement from the Senegal FA, team doctor Dr Abdourahmane Fedior said Liverpool striker Mane had been “replaced due to the dizziness he had on the pitch” after scoring.
“After this we felt it was safer to bring him to the hospital for a scan which didn’t reveal any brain injury or bone lesion. We left the hospital a few moments later and we went to the hotel. For now, he feels well.
“All the symptoms he had on the pitch disappeared. It needs to be followed closely though and we will see in two days how he feels.
“He needs to rest and come back to training step by step.”
Liverpool’s medical team will speak to their Senegal counterparts about Mane’s condition, though it is normal to have regular contact with all international squads, particularly when a player goes off injured.
Senegal captain Kalidou Koulibaly denied Mane’s health had been put at risk by being allowed to continue playing.
“It wasn’t risky at all. It’s him who scored the goal after this,” said the Napoli defender.
“When we saw after the goal he was a bit disoriented we preferred to replace him. I asked him if he wanted to leave the pitch and he said no, but we preferred to replace him to avoid taking any risk.”
- 2 tigers belonging to businessman Freedom Jacob Caesar scare Ridge residents
- Having sexual intercourse while standing can cause stroke – Health experts warn
- Achimota Forest saga: We have suffered ‘grave historical injustice’ – Owoo family
- Medical Director robbed while conducting surgery
- Why #DampareMustGo is trending on Twitter
- Kwabena Agyepong denies receiving car bribe from Ibrahim Mahama to keep NPP in opposition
- My last birthday gift to my husband was sex
- Hospital dismisses claims of Osinachi’s corpse singing ‘Ekwueme’ at night
- ‘Do not get pregnant because of love’ – Yvonne Nelson
- ‘Until AshGold and Kotoko play, no other match will be played’ – Nana Yaw Amponsah
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 20, 2022
Zelensky says US contributing to restoring peace to Ukraine￼
Ghana Paralympic team for Commonwealth Games calls for support to prepare ahead of event
School feeding caterers strike bites in Ashanti Region
Founder of Africa’s first electric vehicle nominated for top award
NPP Chairmanship Race: Main contender, Odeneho Kwaku Appiah poised to unseat Wuntumi
Over 30 NPP regional executive aspirants in Ashanti Region take turns before vetting committee
Court adjourns Ghana Mine Workers, Asanko Gold Ghana Limited case of wrongful laying off of over 200 staff
Court grants out of court settlement for Newmont
Restore benchmark value, extend tax amnesty – Dr. Ayim-Darke to government
Asabee tours Ashanti Region ahead of national executive elections
Businesses should reduce cost, not cut cost – Financial expert
BoG should not rush into increasing the policy rate – Badu Aboagye
North Korea: Fighting Covid with tea and saltwater
Forestry Commission to relocate 2 tigers from an Accra residence – Police