Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's police have launched a manhunt for an alleged "kingpin", who is accused of controlling operations at an abandoned gold mine where 78 corpses were discovered last week.
The police force said officials had helped James Neo Tshoaeli, a Lesotho national also known as Tiger, to escape after he was pulled up from the mine in Stilfontein.
More than 240 illegal miners were brought up alive from the mine after it had been blockaded for months by the police.
Officers had cut off food and water supplies in an attempt to force them out of the mine.
Some of the miners accused Mr Tshoaeli of being responsible for "deaths, assault and torture" underground, a police statement said on Monday.
Mr Tshoaeli is also alleged to have hoarded and kept food away from the other miners, many of whom appeared emaciated and weak when they surfaced from the shaft.
Police commissioner Patrick Asaneng warned that "heads will roll" once they find the officials who helped Mr Tshoaeli escape, the police statement said.
In a candid appearance on the South African channel Newzroom Afrika, police spokesperson Athlenda Mathe said the force was "disappointed" and "embarrassed".
Ms Mathe said an investigation into the escape has been launched and that the probe would start with the police "looking internally".
After months when access to the mine shaft in Stilfontein was blocked, a court ordered the government to facilitate last week's rescue operation.
On Thursday, as the rescue came to an end, Ms Mathe said it would be a "mammoth task" to identify the 78 bodies that were recovered - partly because many of them were undocumented migrants.
The miners had been underground since November last year, when police launched nationwide operations targeting illicit mining.
Thousands of illegal miners, known as "zama zamas" ("those who try their luck" in Zulu), operate in mineral-rich South Africa.
The mine in Stilfontein - some 145km (90 miles) south-west of Johannesburg - has now been cleared of both bodies and people alive, the police have said.
A trade union and rights activists have accused the authorities of overseeing a "massacre".
But the police have defended their actions, saying that they were dealing with criminality and it was the kingpins in charge of the illicit mining who were controlling the flow of supplies and trying to prevent people from resurfacing.
Latest Stories
-
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
18 minutes -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
32 minutes -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
36 minutes -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
1 hour -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
1 hour -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
1 hour -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
3 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
4 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
5 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
5 hours
