A spirited second-half performance saw Ghana thrash Togo 5-1 in the qualifiers for the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations on Tuesday.
Kwabena Owusu hat-trick and a goal each from Osman Bukari and Yakubu Nassam Ibrahim made little of Thibault Klidje's consolation for the away side at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.
The result puts the Black Meteors in a good position to reach the second round of the qualifiers ahead of Saturday's return fixture in Lome.
The winner over two legs will face Gabon in the penultimate round in March next year for a ticket to the final stage in June.
There could be a big reward for playing at the Afcon as the top three teams at the November 8-22 championship in Egypt will represent Africa at the 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
Salamanca striker Owusu opened the scoring for Ghana in the 18th minute while Belarus-based Joel Fameyeh could have powered the hosts' lead to 2-0 if he had succeeded in transforming a 27th-minute penalty.
Five minutes later, Togo hit back with the equaliser through Klidje, who connected to a Yenoussi Guillaume free-kick.
Bukari, however, restored Ghana's lead with a 63rd-minute finish.
Then Owusu scored two quickfire goals in the 72nd and 73rd minutes to put the Meteors 4-1 up.
Substitute Ibrahim eventually sealed the win with a strike five minutes to full-time.
In 2015, Ghana failed to qualify for the Afcon in Senegal, thereby missing the chance to fight for a qualification ticket for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, Brazil.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 'Messi the best in every world' – Boateng turns back on Ronaldo allegiances
- Ronaldo accepts €18.8m deal over tax evasion
- Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City player on missing plane
- Tsitsipas reaches Australian Open semi-finals
- New Barcelona signing Boateng 'a little sad' to leave Sassuolo
- Boateng becomes first Ghanaian, 14th African to join Barcelona
- OFFICIAL: Barcelona announce loan signing of Kevin-Prince Boateng
- Boateng confirms surprise move to Barcelona
- Barcelona to sign Kevin-Prince Boateng from Sassuolo
- Serena Williams knocks out Simona Halep in epic Australian Open clash
- CAF CC: Kotoko draw Al Hilal, Zesco and Nkana in group stage
- CAF CL: Sundowns beat Wydad as Mazembe lose in Algeria
- Solomon Akumba wins Maltavator Challenge Season 2
- CAF CC: Kotoko players to receive $500 each qualification bonus
- Ashgold thrash Medeama to win Betway Cup