The Civil and Local Government Staff Association, Ghana (CLOGSAG) is accusing the Ministry of Finance of unlawful interference in their pensions.
This accusation was made during the Association’s 2021 Virtual May Day Celebration.
According to the Association, Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) being placed under the Financial Service Division of the Ministry of Finance rather than the Employment and Labour Relations is anomalous and has therefore threatened to petition the Speaker of Parliament if the issue is not quickly resolved.
Addressing its members during the 2021 Virtual MayDay Celebration, the Executive Secretary of CLOGSAG, Mr. Isaac Bampoe Addo indicated that the Minister of Employment and Labour Relations is the minister for pensions as stipulated in the National Pensions Act, 2008 (Act 766).
“Our investigations has revealed that SSNIT has been placed under the Financial Services Division of the Ministry of Finance.
“However, the National Pensions Act, 2008 (Act 766) and Occupational and Pensions Schemes (General) regulations, 2011 (L.I.1990) clearly show that the Minister of Employment and Labour Relations is the Minister for Pensions,” he stated.
In line with his argument, Mr. Bampoe indicated that “any supervisory role the Ministry of Finance is playing in relation to SSNIT apart from determining allowances for Board members and committee members is not supported by Act 766 and, therefore, anomalous or illegal.”
The Association is serving notice that should this anomaly persist, they will not only petition the Speaker of Parliament but use other legitimate means to stop this practice.
- Dogboe beats Lopez by majority decision
- Man stabs friend to death at a funeral
- Bullion van attack: Police arrest 215 suspects in a swoop
- Teshie Wulomo, 2 others injured after gunmen fire shots during pre-Homowo rituals
- Presidential jet capable of making non-stop trips to Europe – Aviation expert
- Until we empower Ghanaians legally, the law will serve the privileged – Prof. Atuguba
- A Post-Truth World: Why Ronaldo Did Not Move Coca-Cola Share Price
- NHIS to cover Hydroxyurea sickle cell therapy – Bawumia announces
- Joe and Jill Biden announce death of ‘beloved’ dog Champ
- Akufo-Addo expresses condolences to Zambia over death of ‘iconic’ Kaunda
Max Verstappen wins intense French Grand Prix battle with Lewis Hamilton
Tokyo Olympics: Ugandan tests positive for Covid in Japan
Karela’s CAM Park banned indefinitely
MTN FA Cup: Defending champions Kotoko, Hearts and Medeama progress to round of 16
Euros On MGL: Wales into last 16 despite defeat to Italy
Livestream: The Probe dissects 2021 Population and Housing Census
There appears to be selective justice in Ghana – Law student
Ghana’s laws do not reflect reality – UG Law student
2021 PHC: Census Night is to raise awareness not count people – Prof Annim
Until we empower Ghanaians legally, the law will serve the privileged – Prof. Atuguba
Bullion van attack: Police arrest 215 suspects in a swoop
GIPC organises maiden Diaspora Investment Summit
NHIS to cover Hydroxyurea sickle cell therapy – Bawumia announces
Presidential jet capable of making non-stop trips to Europe – Aviation expert
Playback: The Law probes whether ‘the law is an ass’