British supermodel, Stella Tennant took her own life last month, her family has confirmed, saying the pioneering 90s star “felt unable to go on.”
Tennant, who shunned traditionally feminine aesthetics and carved out an iconic, edgy image rarely seen on the catwalk, died shortly before Christmas at the age of 50.
Her family said on Friday that she had been “unwell for some time,” describing her as a “beautiful soul.”
“We have been humbled by the outpouring of messages of sympathy and support since Stella died,” they said in a statement to PA Media.
“She was a beautiful soul, adored by a close family and good friends, a sensitive and talented woman whose creativity, intelligence and humour touched so many.”
“Stella had been unwell for some time. So, it is a matter of our deepest sorrow and despair that she felt unable to go on, despite the love of those closest to her,” the family added.
“In grieving Stella’s loss, her family renews a heartfelt request that respect for their privacy should continue. “Born to UK aristocrats and raised on a sheep farm in Scotland, Tennant got into modeling “accidentally,” she told British Vogue in 2018.
She sported a punkier look than fellow British supermodels like Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell, with her hair often cut short and spiky.
Tennant was one of the supermodels who represented the British fashion scene at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.
But following the heyday of her career, she occasionally discussed the pace of the industry and eventually stepped back to focus on her family.
“The agency didn’t really know what to do with me,” she told fashion publication the Document Journal in 2018, discussing the move of fashion magazines toward more traditional looks in the 2000s.
“I thought, ‘Well, that’s not a surprise. I’ve had my little moment, and fashion’s moved on, and I’ll be moving along, too.
“I’ve given it everything, all my energy and time, and now we’re going to go off and have a family together,” she said.
A number of notable fashion figures mourned Tennant’s death.
Designer Stella McCartney wrote: “Your soul and inner beauty exceeded the external perfection, Stella.
May you ride high above us all on the most perfect horse, eternally in peace.”
And Naomi Campbell, in an Instagram post, called Tennant “a class act in every way.”
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- There is no biometric record of Victor Kusi Boateng in our database – NIA tells Ablakwa
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- We ‘neutralised’ 6 armed men in Bawku – GAF on allegations of killing 7 locals
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- NPP likely to hold presidential primaries in November
- Designer Paco Rabanne dies aged 88
- Nigerian singer Oxlade fined ₦5m over leaked sex tape
- Newmont Africa’s Akyem mine pays ¢184.6m as dividends to government
- Government urged to engage tenants more on National Rental Assistance Scheme
- January 2023 performance reflects investor sentiments – GSE
- New Porsche mistakenly put on sale at bargain price
- Yaw Dabo apologises for ‘lazy people watch movies’ comment
- Shatta Wale agrees for a collaboration with Pheelz’s on ‘Stand by you’
- Heart of Lions edge pass Akatsi All Stars to secure 3 vital points
- Communities to be rewarded for planting trees to reduce carbon emissions
- ‘Focus on God, attacks on pastors, ministries to be expected’ – Elvis Agyemang urged
- Enimil Ashon: Covid fund audit – NPP must demand a probe
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral