Thandiwe Newton has said she wants to “apologise every day to darker-skinned actresses” for not representing them.
Her new film, God’s Country, has been adapted from a short story by James Lee Burke – but has swapped the lead character from an older white man into a black woman.
It centres on a grieving professor (Newton) who confronts two white hunters she catches on her property.
Talking about the film, Newton said though the role allowed her to heal as a black woman, she hesitated taking it because she did not think she was “dark-skinned” enough for the role.
“Doesn’t matter that it’s from African-American women more than anyone else, doesn’t matter. I received prejudice. Anyone who’s received oppression and prejudice feels this character.”
Getting emotional, she added that she “wanted to apologise every day to darker-skinned actresses”.
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- Women have been misled about menopause says New York Times
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- There is no biometric record of Victor Kusi Boateng in our database – NIA tells Ablakwa
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- We have a concerted approach for investment facilitation in Ghana – GIPC’s Deputy CEO
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the revised debt exchange programme
- Teachers from 48 schools undergo CHAG’s HIV, TB training
- Insecurity in relationships and how to handle it
- Bright Simons: Will a global circular economy help or hurt Africa?
- Businessman to construct bridges to connect cut off Lawoshime community to Keta
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- Include us in Traditional Council Affairs – Buipe Queen Mothers
- Andre Ayew explains decision to join Nottingham Forest
- Kylian Mbappe: Paris St-Germain striker to miss Champions League tie with injury
- Andre Ayew joins Nottingham Forest after Al Sadd departure
- Okaikwei South MP supports 200 students in Constituency
- Peru grows 6,000 different types of potatoes – Peruvian Ambassador to Ghana
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Illegal mining: Government to reclaim five thousand hectares of land destroyed by Galamsey