In the past 48 hours, Ghana has seen Asamoah Gyan write a statement disputing the judgement of his coach, Kwesi Appiah, and storming into a decision to retire.
Two days later, and with President Nana Addo Dankwah Akufo-Addo intervening, Gyan is back.
Read: Gyan rescinds Black Stars retirement decision
Many expect Appiah to crack the whip and reward the player’s open disrespect to him by dropping him from the AFCON squad.
But Gary Al-Smith reckons l this will not happen, for the following reasons:
1. The coach, himself, was a political appointment, pushed by this same President.
When he was elected in 2016, his ‘Believe in Ghana’ mantra meant that getting a Ghanaian to manage the Black Stars was best to fit his narrative.
The obvious choice was Kwesi Appiah, and he made sure it happened. Ironically, Asamoah Gyan was key in getting Appiah this reappointment in 2017.
2. Kwesi Appiah literally is backed into a corner because of this. Dropping Gyan will be seen, culturally, as disrespecting an elderly man. It will also be seen as biting the hand that fed you
3. Asamoah Gyan, ironically, is seen as a good option to have among the strikers because Ghana currently doesn’t have a prolific set of strikers. Appiah knows that the 33-year-old will be good as a plan B on the bench at the tournament.
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers
Akosombo Dam could serve Ghana for another 50 years if well maintained – Kweku Awotwi
No new Covid-19 cases in Northern Region in 3 weeks
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman