Tottenham have gone top of the Premier League table after a Jose Mourinho tactical masterclass saw them beat Manchester City 2-0 at home.
Mourinho, who surprisingly picked Steven Bergwijn ahead of Gareth Bale, saw his side score with their first chance on goal when Tanguy Ndombele’s ball over the top split City’s defence and Son Heung-Min fired the ball through Ederson’s legs.
The home side soaked up the pressure and used the counter attack to good effect. They had the ball in the net again when an unmarked Harry Kane bundled in Son’s pass but it was chalked off for offside.
Pep Guardiola’s side, who started Raheem Sterling and Sergio Aguero on the bench, had 11 scoring chances in the first half. They also had a goal disallowed this time by VAR when Gabriel Jesus was penalised for handball in the buildup to Aymeric Laporte’s strike.
The visitors’ decision making in the final third continued to cost them with Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez well below their best.
And Spurs killed the game off with another counter attack with Kane finding Giovanni Lo Celso who netted less than a minute after coming on.
The result sees the North London club go two points clear of second-placed Chelsea while City languish in tenth position.
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers
Akosombo Dam could serve Ghana for another 50 years if well maintained – Kweku Awotwi
No new Covid-19 cases in Northern Region in 3 weeks
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman