Audio By Carbonatix
American celebrities have praised Twitter bosses for banning president Trump from the social media platform.
Among them was model and TV presenter Chrissy Teigen, who was called "filthy-mouthed" in a tweet by Mr Trump.
She was overjoyed with his ban, writing: "AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.."
The outgoing president's access to his main method of communication was permanently revoked on Friday, with the social media website citing "the risk of further incitement of violence".
Facebook and Instagram have also suspended Mr Trump's accounts following the scenes of mayhem in Washington DC on Wednesday when his supporters stormed the US Capitol.
Teigen was not the only celebrity to react to the news.
Veep actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus tagged Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and wrote: "What the f*** took you so long @jack?"
Marvel actor Mark Ruffalo said: "Thank you @Twitter & the board. #BanTrumpSaveDemocracy #RemoveTrumpNow."
Oscar-winning actress Whoopi Goldberg tweeted "Finally", while author Stephen King also praised Twitter for the move and said it "makes me proud to be a twitterhead".
And Bette Midler tweeted: "CHURCH BELLS! RING THROUGHOUT THE LAND, SO EVERYONE KNOWS! IT'S OVER! TRUMP SUSPENDED FROM INCITING TO VIOLENCE ON TWITTER!"
Mr Trump, who is due to leave office on 20 January, released a statement via the POTUS account saying he had been negotiating with other websites and promised a "big announcement soon".
He added: "Twitter is not about FREE SPEECH. They are all about promoting a radical Left platform where some of the most vicious people in the world are allowed to speak freely."
It was swiftly deleted.
Latest Stories
-
Afoko calls for research-driven strategy to rebuild NPP ahead of 2028 elections
5 minutes -
Guinness Ghana Annual Golf Championship set for May 30 at Achimota Golf Club
15 minutes -
Ghana to announce World Cup squad on June 1 – Kurt Okraku
1 hour -
Livestream: Newsfile dicusses attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
1 hour -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
3 hours -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
3 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
4 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
4 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
5 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
5 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
6 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
6 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
7 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
8 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
9 hours