Billionaire Mike Bloomberg has pledged at least $100m (£78m) to help Democrat Joe Biden’s presidential campaign in Florida.
Of the battleground states Florida offers the biggest share of the electoral college votes needed to win.
Mr Bloomberg already spent $1bn this year trying to defeat Mr Biden to become the Democratic challenger.
Donald Trump has hinted he will spend his own money in the state ahead of early voting opening on 24 September.
Both campaigns are keen to appeal to voters who may be casting their votes early by post and set the tone of the final weeks of their campaigns.
Postal voting is expected to be double that seen in 2016 as the coronavirus pandemic spurs voters to avoid polling stations.
Florida offers 29 of the 270 electoral college voters needed to win the election. Only California (55) and Texas (38) offer more but are seen as safe Democrat and Republican territory respectively. President Trump won Florida in 2016, while Democrat Barack Obama took the state in 2012.
“Mike Bloomberg is committed to helping defeat Trump, and that is going to happen in the battleground states,” Kevin Sheekey, an adviser to Mr Bloomberg, told Reuters.
In a tweet, Donald Trump reacted by criticising Mr Bloomberg’s own run to become the Democratic candidate for president in which he reportedly spent $409m (£313m).
“I thought Mini Mike was through with Democrat politics,” he wrote about the former mayor of New York City. “Save NYC instead.”
I thought Mini Mike was through with Democrat politics after spending almost 2 Billion Dollars, and then giving the worst and most inept Debate Performance in the history of Presidential Politics. Pocahontas ended his political career on first question, OVER! Save NYC instead. https://t.co/WgbVvEUt2N— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 13, 2020
Earlier this week when asked by journalists if he was considering spending his own money in Florida, Mr Trump told reporters “If I have to, I will. Whatever it takes, we have to win.”
The president initially had a significant financial advantage over his rival but Mr Biden’s successful fundraising has closed the gap.
A Cook Political Report poll this week suggested that the contest in Florida is narrowing, with Mr Trump improving his standing in the race there.
Nationally Mr Biden is leading in the polls.
Mr Bloomberg endorsed Mr Biden after failing to win the Democratic nomination and spoke in a prime-time slot at the Democratic convention in August.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife
- AngloGold incident: 52 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium