Audio By Carbonatix
The Wa East District Directorate of the Ghana Health Service, has not recorded any infant death from January to June this year, Mr. Joseph Bolibie, the District Director of Health Service has announced.
He said two maternal deaths had been recorded within the period but that they occurred outside the district as against one in 2006.
Mr. Bolibie made these known at a two-day half year performance review workshop at Funsi on Thursday to assess the performance of the sector and strategies to achieve their set targets at the end of the year.
He said despite the numerous challenges facing the health sector it has been able to achieve satisfactory results in the coverage of childhood immunizations for the antigens from January to June this year.
For instance, BCG vaccination rose up to 56 percent as against 54.8 percent last year, polio and acute cough recorded 56 percent compared to 50 percent and measles 55 percent as against 50 percent within the same period.
Tetanus immunization recorded an increase of 33.4 percent as against 23.4 percent and malnutrition among children and adults has also increased from 22.2 percent to 27.7 during the year under review.
Mr. Bolibie said even though there was several interventions put in place to improve the health status of children, who were malnourished, it still posed a challenge for service providers and called on the Ministry of Food and Agriculture to research to address the problem.
He said there has been improvement in institutional delivery coverage in the communities because traditional birth attendance had been encouraged to come along with pregnant women to deliver at the health facilities, receiving soap and a hot meal as their reward.
On guinea worm, he said 10 cases have been recorded within the period as against 41 cases last year, representing 76 percent reduction of the disease.
Case containment rate increased from 64 percent in 2006 to 100 percent in 2007. Endemic communities reduced from 48 in 2004 to 24 in 2005 and 11 in 2006 and 2007 respectively.
Mr. Bolibie attributed the reduction in reported cases to the joint collaboration and on-going health education among health workers, teachers, village volunteers and community members as well as the Carter Centre and other development partners.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
4 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
11 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
13 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
16 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
17 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
21 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
21 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
23 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
29 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
37 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
38 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
42 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
46 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
46 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
53 minutes