The Wa Municipal director of the Ghana Health Services, Mrs. Beatrice Kunfah has blamed the increasing number of maternal deaths in the municipality on inadequate facilities for skilled delivery services.
The municipality recorded eight maternal deaths for the year under review.
Stillbirths have not seen much improvement as the rate reduced by 1% from 37/1000 LiveBirths to 36/1000 LiveBirths in 2014.
Speaking at the annual performance review of the municipal health directorate, Mrs. Kunfah revealed the municipality has only five facilities, including the regional hospital, for skilled delivery services.
For that reason, pregnant women have to travel long distances to access antenatal services.
Other challenges mentioned by the Wa municipal health director were delayed reimbursement of NHIS claims, inadequate physicians, medical assistants, and other critical staff and poor documentation at all the levels of service delivery.
In a quest to improve the quality of maternal and neonatal health, reduce the congestion in the maternity unit of the regional hospital and take care of pregnant women in the northern part of the municipality, Mrs. Kunfah said 20 newly qualified midwives have already been posted to some Community-based Health Planning Services (CHPS) zones including the Islamic hospital, one of the biggest private health facilities in the municipality.
She announced that the government in collaboration with the people of Japan (JICA) will this year construct 6 CHPS compounds in the municipality.
One of the projects awarded to a contractor at Dokpong is at an advanced stage of completion.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor