A twenty-three-year-old mother of two has been hauled to the La Magistrate Court in Accra over the death of her husband.

According to the prosecutor, Sgt. A.A. Afrifah, Mercy Akodua, aka Dzigbordi, has been married to Jerry Annietey Abbey for nine years and together, they had two children.

Due to frequent quarrels, the couple seperated after the birth of their second child two years ago. The deceased, for the period of the two years, stopped remitting his wife and children as well.

However, on June 1, 2009, the deceased went to the home of the suspect with the intention of taking the children away but Dzigbordi refuse to grant his wish on grounds that he did not know how the children had survived for the last two years.

The deceased, who became offended, managed to take the children without the consent of the suspect.

This resulted in a confrontation which led to a quarrel.

In the ensuing fight, Jerry became angry and punched the right cheek of Dzigbordi who lost control and fell. As she rose from the floor, she picked an object and hit Jerry’s chest with it, causing him to bleed profusely. Unfortunately, Jerry died while being taken to the hospital.

The magistrate, Aboagye Tano, adjourned the case to June 18, 2009, to allow further investigations into the matter.

Meanwhile, sources in La where the two lovers lived said the relationship of the two had been sour, as they fought regularly with Jerry allegedly battering his wife at the least provocation.

The deceased is said to have sacked his wife from their matrimonial home and found himself another wife, with whom he had a child, after asking Dzigbordi to lodge with her parents during her second pregnancy.

The source said despite the fact that Jerry lived in his family house within the same vicinity with Dzigbordi, since she delivered some two years ago, he never visited or remitted her and children.

Dzigbordi is reported to have gone to the La police on her own volition a day after the incident.

Sources have said Dzigbordi was a very reserved person, describing the situation as very unfortunate and pleading with human rights advocates to find her a lawyer.

Source: Daily Guide