The Volta Regional Police Command says it has arrested two individuals who attempted to cast a spell on the President, the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu and some other state leaders to derail the upcoming referendum in the Volta Region.
Speaking at a press conference in Ho, the Regional Police Commander DCOP Ebenezer Francis Doku said, “we are receiving threats from people who are against the creation of the Oti region and the threats are coming in physical and spiritual force,”
“The suspects Ebenezer Atsu 33 and Shepherd Acolatse 55, visited a shrine in Weta to cast a spell on the leaders to disrupt the creation of the Oti region,” he said.
DCOP Doku said on the men listed names of persons they wanted influenced spiritually.
They presented names like the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Jean Mensah, Volta Regional Minister, Archibald Yao Letsa, Minister for Regional Re-Organization, Dan Botwe, Chairman for the Commission of Enquiry on creation of the new regions Justice Brobbey and an advocate for the creation of the proposed Oti region Dr. Obed Asamoah.
The police explained the fetish priest instead reported the men to the police at Dzodze who effected their arrest and sent them to Weta in the Ketu North Municipality.
According to the police, the traditional priest, Festus Kwashie Babanawo, said he could not destroy leaders of the country hence his report.
The suspects were transferred to the Regional Police Command in Ho.
The Police commander explained, the men confessed they were sent by a man identified only as John from Ashaiman who said the names on the list were people who support the creation of the Oti region to be carved out of the Volta region.
DCOP Doku stated “we will make sure there is maximum police security during the December 27 referendum to be held in the northern part of the Volta Region.
“We will do anything within our power to ensure that the referendum is devoid of any security threats,” he added.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, June 20, 2019
- DVLA, Guinness Ghana roll out new module to check drunk driving
- Tema: One person feared dead after loaded truck runs into wall
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- ACEP cautions PURC over delay to release new power tariffs
- A sleepy island paradise's most showstopping sights
- Int’l environmental organisations join opposition to mine in Atewa forest
- Ga West Municipal Assembly auctions 4 "arrested" goats for ¢665
- BOST signs Collective Bargaining Agreement with Senior Staff
- Ethiopian Airlines is Africa’s Best Airline for 3rd consecutive year
- Stereotyping Nigerians: High Commissioner was right to caution media
- Judge summons IGP, CID boss as contempt looms
- Sonrise fails to shine as Pope John record first NSMQ win in two years
- A few Nigerians committing crimes in Ghana - Dr Antwi Danso
- Agyenim Boateng blasts CID for arresting Nigerian professor