Audio By Carbonatix
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday revoked a 2021 executive order on promoting competition in the U.S. economy issued by his predecessor Joe Biden, the White House said.
The move by Republican Trump further unwinds a signature initiative by Biden, a Democrat, to crack down on anti-competitive practices in sectors from agriculture to drugs and labour.
The Justice Department welcomed Trump's revocation of the order, saying it was pursuing an "America First Antitrust" approach focused on free markets instead of what it called the "overly prescriptive and burdensome approach" of the Biden administration.
It said it was also making progress in streamlining the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act (HSR) review process of mergers and reinstating more frequent use of targeted and well-crafted consent decrees.
Biden signed a sweeping executive order in July 2021 to promote more competition in the U.S. economy as part of a broad push to rein in what his administration described as a pattern of corporate abuses, ranging from excessive airline fees to large mergers that raised costs for consumers.
The initiative, which was very popular with Americans, was championed by top Biden economic officials, many of whom had previously worked for or with Senator Elizabeth Warren, who played a key role in creating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau under former President Barack Obama.
Trump has attacked that agency since taking office, announcing plans to shrink its workforce by 90%.
Those moves have cost Americans at least $18 billion in higher fees and lost compensation for consumers allegedly cheated by major companies, according to an analysis released in June by the Student Borrower Protection Center and the Consumer Federation of America.
Hannah Garden-Monheit, who was the director of competition policy under Biden, said Trump's move undercuts his promise to protect the Americans who need it the most.
“This shows President Trump's claim that he would ‘Make America Competitive Again’ was a sham. Instead of enforcing the competition laws, he’s throwing Main Street businesses and workers under the bus while doing favours for the rich and powerful," Garden-Monheit said.
Latest Stories
-
Create open African market to accelerate connectivity – Telecel Business Director
9 minutes -
Gold Fields Lease Renewal: Why the IEA’s case for resource nationalism fails the reality rest
15 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund unveils ambitious plan to transform sports development nationwide
15 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to porioritise grassroots sports, talent identification and infrastructure development
19 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund engages stakeholders on revenue mobilisation, transparency and sustainable sports financing
22 minutes -
Albert Bondah named Media & PR Manager for 2026 Ghana Comedy Awards
26 minutes -
NPP questions Circuit Court 9 ruling in Abronye DC case
27 minutes -
Artificial Intelligence researcher urges responsible AI use at high-level United Nations Forum
31 minutes -
Augustine Boakye to miss Black Stars friendly against Mexico
35 minutes -
Zoomlion Kenya begins major transformation of Nairobi waste management system
36 minutes -
NPP calls on diplomatic community to protect freedoms, end political prosecutions in Ghana
1 hour -
NPP Youth Organiser warns of ‘ungovernable’ response over alleged harassment of members
1 hour -
Climate change: Africa must move adaptation from promises to action – AGN Chair urges
1 hour -
Traders raise fresh concerns over stalled Takoradi Market Circle redevelopment project
2 hours -
Lovebirds in NDC politics? Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sets social media ablaze
2 hours