Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD) in partnership with Fairtrade Africa has held a two-day training workshop on Fairtrade standards and sustainability for some staff of the research department of Cocobod.
The training workshop sought to further build the capacity of the Cocobod Research team in the area of monitoring and evaluation of cocoa sustainability programmes to ensure a created shared value.
Some other topics at the workshop included the process of Fairtrade certification, traceability, premium management, standards of social compliance, standard on internal management system and governance, and small producer organizations. The training also focused on responsible use of agrochemicals, standards on the environment as well as climate change and biodiversity.
Speaking at the opening of the training seminar, Randolph Adei, the Director of Human Resource at Cocobod indicated that training of the human resource of organizations is key as it shapes and prepares staff to be effective and make systems work effectively and efficiently.
Abubakar Benjamin Afful, Team Leader for Cocoa and Solomon McBanasam in charge of Protection and Advocacy, both from Fairtrade Africa facilitated the training.
The training highlighted the principles of Fairtrade including democracy, transparency, accountability, non-discrimination and participation, which must be adhered to by certified farmer cooperatives.
The facilitators explained the Fairtrade system as well as the benefits that come with it including the payment of additional Fairtrade Premiums for the farmers who in turn dedicate some for developmental projects in their communities. Fairtrade recognised issues of living income and wage as human rights issues that must be respected by stakeholders and actors of the various commodity value chains.
Mr. Afful explained that Fairtrade certifies cocoa cooperatives and farmer associations rather than Licensed Buying Companies.
He further stated that the ownership of the Fairtrade certificate should be held by the farmers to help deepen benefits to the farmers.
To ensure compliance, FLOCERT, an independent body within the Fairtrade system is solely mandated to audit producers according to Fairtrade Standards.
In his remarks, Michael Ekow Amoah, Research Manager, thanked Fairtrade Africa for accepting to train the team and entreated the team to apply the skills and knowledge in their daily work.
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- EFF joins other Pan African movements to stand with the people of Sudan
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win