Audio By Carbonatix
The government in Brazil says they will investigate whether FIFA's official accommodation agency was involved in "cartel" practices that may lead to hotel price hikes during the 2014 World Cup.
The government announced Thursday that a committee recently created to monitor excessive price rises during the World Cup will check whether the actions by MATCH Services "can be characterized as cartel."
Reservations
The committee will analyze the hotel reservations made by MATCH in the 12 World Cup host cities to check if they affect market prices. Government officials said they also will meet with the airline industry next week to make sure there are no excessive hikes in travel prices during next year's tournament.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff created the monitoring committee following complaints by consumer advocates and amid reports of outrageous price increases in the tourism sector projected during the World Cup. A study by Brazil's tourism board earlier this year showed that some hotel rates will be up to 500 percent more expensive during the month-long tournament in some hotels offered by the FIFA-appointed agency.
The government wants to know how many rooms MATCH has reserved in the host cities because, according to Brazilian legislation, anything more than 20 percent of the local market can be considered a cartel.
The probe of MATCH's practices and the start of discussions with the airlines were among some of responsibilities given to the committee after a meeting in Brasilia on Thursday. The committee will also be in charge of mapping out the prices and the quality of services in hotels, restaurants and airports. MATCH and FIFA did not immediately answer a request for comment, but have previously denied all accusations of wrongdoing.
Agreement
MATCH reached agreement with nearly 800 hotels in Brazil soon after the country was picked in 2007 to host the 2014 World Cup. The Swiss-based company says it does not regulate prices and notes that charges are set by the hotel owners and other tourism stakeholders.
Tourism projections estimate nearly 600,000 foreigners and some 3 million Brazilians are expected to move around the country during the World Cup that next June.
Latest Stories
-
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
1 minute -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
9 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
10 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
11 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
17 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
18 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
22 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
25 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
31 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
46 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
1 hour -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
1 hour -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
1 hour -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
1 hour -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
1 hour