Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) is expected to announce the postponement of the Population and Housing Census originally scheduled for March this year, Myjoyonline has learnt.
This has been necessitated by technical and logistical challenges.
The Service is said to have agreed to carry out the exercise in May, according to sources.
The delay in the procurement of some mobile electronic devices to be used by enumerators following GSS’ decision to use digital mapping system, is key to the postponement.
The Finance Ministry would make an official announcement sometime next week, the source added.
In a related development, only ¢30 million has been disbursed to the GSS out of the ¢400 million that has been budgeted for the exercise.
Deputy Government Statistician, David Kombat said in an interview Tuesday that money has gone into the cartographic work done so far despite the chunk needed for training and enumeration.
The conduct of the census is in accordance with the Statistical Service Law, 1985 (PNDCL 135), which empowers the Government Statistician to conduct statistical surveys and any census in Ghana.
The country previously had censuses in 1960, 1970, 1984, 2000 and 2010. The country is supposed to undertake a census exercise after every 10 years.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
35 minutes -
Video: Moment Arsenal players found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
39 minutes -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
1 hour -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
1 hour -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
1 hour -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
1 hour -
Future Athletics stars ready to shine at UG Invitational meet
1 hour -
Asantewaa Empowerment Initiative launches campaign against drug abuse and teenage pregnancy in Juaben
1 hour -
PAC orders Anlo-Afiadanyigba SHS to pay GH₵10k arrears to casual workers
2 hours -
Rockefeller Foundation awards over US$350m, reaching 731 million people amid global aid decline
2 hours -
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
2 hours -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
2 hours -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
2 hours -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
2 hours -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
2 hours