A 37- year-old trained teacher, Francis Aduna in the Volta Region is fighting for his life as a result of end-stage chronic kidney disease.
Mr Aduna who has been on a bi-weekly dialysis for the past seven months lacks funds to continue with process.
The young man who spends over thousand cedis on the dialyses weekly said the issue started when he had stomach upset and was rushed to the Sogakope government hospital only to be diagnosed with kidney disease. The condition was also confirmed at the Ho Teaching Hospital.
In an interview with JoyNews, he narrated how he constantly endures severe pains and has appealed to the general public to come to his aid in order to get a cure.
“I was diagnosed of kidney failure and my family and I have spent all we had on dialyses. Now we don’t have money and the pain is excruciating. I need financial help urgently to save my life, “Aduna pleaded
His friend and colleague who has been with him from the day he was diagnosed , Johnson Bessah Dogbey said his friend situation is now critical and so needs urgent help from the public to save his life
“We are pleading with everyone to help us save the life of our friend who is always in pains due to the disease. We don’t have money to continue with the dialyses, please help us,” Dogbey cried.
Complete and irreversible kidney failure is sometimes called end-stage renal disease, or ESRD.
When the kidneys stop working completely, your body fills with extra water and waste products. This condition is called uremia. At this stage, one will need to undergo dialysis or kidney transplant.
Your hands or feet may swell and you will feel tired and weak because your body needs clean blood to function properly.
Untreated uremia may lead to seizures or coma and will ultimately result in death.
What is Dialysis?
The two major forms of dialysis are hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
In hemodialysis, the patient’s blood is passed through the dialysis machine which has filter that removes waste products.
The clean blood is then returned into the body. Hemodialysis is usually performed at a dialysis center three times per week for 3 to 4 hours at a time.
Meanwhile, peritoneal dialysis involves surgery to implant a peritoneal dialysis (PD) catheter into your abdomen. The catheter helps filter blood through the peritoneum, a membrane in your abdomen.
During treatment, a special fluid called dialysate flows into the peritoneum. The dialysate absorbs waste. Once the dialysate draws waste out of the bloodstream, it’s drained from the abdomen.
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- T-bills auction: Government fails to meet target again; interest rates still surging
- Government is resolute to ensure all-inclusive access to education – Bawumia
- New parliament: PM Modi inaugurates building amid opposition boycott
- Period poverty: ‘I don’t want anyone else to use rags for sanitary pads’
- How prosperity fuels dowry demand in India
- US debt ceiling deal ready for Congress vote, Joe Biden says
- Erdogan hails election victory but Turkey left divided
- Covid was not a cover-up for corruption – Akufo-Addo
- Sanitary pads should be tax-free; not menstrual luxury – Rosetta Ntriwaah Boakye
- Venice Biennale: The woman behind the whirlwind festival
- betPawa PL: Medeama go four points clear; Hearts of Oak lose against Legon Cities
- Kamaldeen Sulemana scores twice as Southampton draw with Liverpool
- Leicester suffer Premier League relegation despite win over West Ham
- Leeds United relegated after final day defeat to Tottenham
- Dealing with absenteeism during menstruation; sanitary pad bank to aid girls in Obuasi