Audio By Carbonatix
Lawyers for South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, who is charged with murdering his girlfriend, are due to challenge his bail conditions at a court hearing.
His lawyers will argue that the Olympic and Paralympics star should be allowed to return to his home, and to travel. Mr Pistorius also wants an end to supervision by a probation officer and compulsory drug and alcohol testing.
He denies murdering Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria last month, saying he mistook her for an intruder. Prosecutors however said the state would oppose the application, which is being heard at the High Court in Pretoria.
Mr Pistorius's lawyer, Kenny Oldwage, said his client did not need to be in court for this hearing. The athlete's legal team will appeal against some of the bail conditions imposed by Magistrate Desmond Nair on 22 February that include restrictions on him travelling abroad.
Mr Pistorius, 26, was ordered to hand over his two South African passports, avoid his home in Pretoria and all witnesses in the case, report to a police station twice a week and to abstain from drinking alcohol.
In the papers before the court on Thursday his lawyers argue that he should be allowed to travel if he is granted permission by the case investigation officer.
In an unrelated case, the athlete's brother, Carl Pistorius, appeared in court on Wednesday charged with the culpable homicide of a female motorcyclist in a 2008 road crash. He pleaded not guilty and is due to appear in court again next week.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
1 hour -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
1 hour -
Chelsea co-owners Boehly & Walter explore selling stakes
1 hour -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
1 hour -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
2 hours -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
2 hours -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
2 hours -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
2 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
2 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
2 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
3 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
3 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
3 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
4 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
4 hours