Audio By Carbonatix
Lionel Messi came through a training session on Monday unharmed but remains a doubt for Barcelona's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday.
Messi picked up a hamstring strain in the 2-2 draw in Paris last week and was withdrawn at half-time, having given Barcelona the lead just before the break. He missed the 5-0 win over Real Mallorca in La Liga on Saturday and was replaced in the false striker role by Cesc Fábregas, who scored a hat-trick. The former Arsenal captain looks the most likely replacement for Messi if the Argentinian fails to recover to face PSG.
"I feel very comfortable playing as a false striker, but that position is filled by the best player in the world," Fábregas said. "I am still a midfielder."
Tito Vilanova's other concern lies at centre-back, with Javier Mascherano struggling with knee trouble. "It's a pity about the injuries, both Mascherano and Leo," the midfielder Xavi Hernández said. "We'll see how Leo is, but it looks like Mascherano is out for a month or a month and a half."
Meanwhile the PSG manager, Carlo Ancelotti, confirmed David Beckham will start the second leg after a "really good match" last week, while the centre-back pairing Thiago Silva and Alex look to have overcome injury concerns. "I feel fine. I'm ready to play. I have no problem," Silva said. "I finished the first leg with a little problem with my knee but I have rested it."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Jasikan midwives deliver baby at roadside
6 minutes -
Police arrest 14 suspected narcotic plant farmers at Daliga
16 minutes -
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
2 hours -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
2 hours -
Chelsea co-owners Boehly & Walter explore selling stakes
2 hours -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
2 hours -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
2 hours -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
2 hours -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
3 hours -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
3 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
3 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
3 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
4 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
4 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
4 hours