Audio By Carbonatix
A visibly upset Sir Elton John has been forced to cut short a concert in New Zealand after falling ill with walking pneumonia.
The musician, 72, lost his voice midway through his set at Auckland's Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday.
"I've just completely lost my voice. I can't sing," Sir Elton told the crowd. "I've got to go. I'm sorry."
Sir Elton appeared to break down in tears as he leaned on his piano and shook his head.
The audience gave the English singer a rapturous ovation as he walked gingerly off stage, helped by several assistants.
Earlier in his set, Sir Elton told the sold-out crowd he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia on Sunday.
The concert was the first New Zealand show of Sir Elton's Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour.
Walking pneumonia, also called atypical pneumonia, is a type of lung infection often caused by bacteria or viruses.
It is less severe than other types of pneumonia, with most sufferers not requiring medical attention. Symptoms are comparable to those of a bad cold, often including a cough, chest pain, a sore throat and a headache.
Sir Elton was checked by a medic halfway through the show and, despite his illness, was able to perform classics such as Candle in the Wind and All the Girls Love Alice.
But ultimately, he was unable to finish the set, his voice giving way as he attempted to sing Daniel.
Sir Elton told the crowd he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia
Shortly after leaving the stage, Sir Elton apologised to his fans in an emotional Instagram post.
"I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I'm disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight's performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx," he wrote.
On social media, concertgoers expressed sympathy for the singer, who remains one of the world's most in-demand live performers.
Sir Elton John announced in 2018 that he would stop touring in order to prioritise his family. But he announced he would say goodbye to fans with a series of 300 dates spanning three years.
It is not clear what affect Sir Elton's illness will have on upcoming tour dates.
The star is scheduled to play two more concerts in Auckland on Tuesday and Thursday as part of the tour.
Sir Elton told the crowd he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia
Shortly after leaving the stage, Sir Elton apologised to his fans in an emotional Instagram post.
"I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I'm disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight's performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx," he wrote.
On social media, concertgoers expressed sympathy for the singer, who remains one of the world's most in-demand live performers.
Sir Elton John announced in 2018 that he would stop touring in order to prioritise his family. But he announced he would say goodbye to fans with a series of 300 dates spanning three years.
It is not clear what affect Sir Elton's illness will have on upcoming tour dates.
The star is scheduled to play two more concerts in Auckland on Tuesday and Thursday as part of the tour.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Sec. Tech. deny St. Mary’s one-eighth spot after late comeback bid
5 minutes -
NPP sets August 31 to September 3 for vetting of national officer aspirants
56 minutes -
Can Chairman Wontumi contest NPP National Chairman?
59 minutes -
NPP 2026 National Officers Elections: Nomination window ends with 50 aspirants in race for nine positions
1 hour -
Labadi Beach Hotel marks 35 years with plans for new investments and developments
1 hour -
Was Afenyo-Markin’s GoldBod criticism justified or exaggerated?
1 hour -
Energy Commission, Ghana Hotels Association train Bono East hoteliers on energy efficiency
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Boa Amponsem roars into one-eighth as Berekum SHS, Bolgatanga Girls’ bow out from prelims
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Asanteman SHS books one-eighth spot as Senya SHS’s 2nd bid ends in heartbreak
2 hours -
GHS unveils new framework to improve Ghana’s preparedness for health emergencies
2 hours -
Suspected robber crashes stolen taxi into traders while fleeing mob at Ejisu
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Academy secures one-eighth spot after commanding win over Bueman SHS, Hohoe EP SHS
3 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
3 hours -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
3 hours -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
4 hours